In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Fresh penne with Italian sausage, endive, and peas
2 Servings, 710 Calories/Serving
This super-speedy fresh pasta dish swaps in endive for the broccoli rabe in a twist on the classic Southern Italian combination of sausage and bitter greens.
In your bag
- 7 ounces fresh whole wheat penne
- 1 or 2 organic shallots
- 1 head organic endive
- 1 organic lemon
- ½ pound fresh loose mild Italian pork sausage
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- ½ cup peas
- ⅓ cup shredded Pecorino Romano
Because of its higher moisture content, fresh pasta cooks much faster than dried and can clump together more easily as it cooks. Be sure to stir the noodles a few times as they cook to keep them separated, and start checking if they’re ready after the first 3 minutes in the boiling water.
Calories: 710, Protein: 43g (86% DV), Fiber: 12g (48% DV), Total Fat: 30g (46% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 12g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.5g, Saturated Fat: 11g (55% DV), Cholesterol: 165mg (55% DV), Sodium: 1290mg (54% DV), Carbohydrates: 68g (23% DV), Total Sugars: 6g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Contains: Milk, Eggs, Wheat
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the penne
While the water heats and the penne cooks, prepare the sauce.
Prep the remaining ingredients; start the sauce
- Peel and coarsely chop the shallots.
- Trim the root end from the endive; cut the leaves crosswise into ½-inch-wide slices.
- Zest and juice half the lemon; cut half into wedges for garnish. [Zest and juice 1 lemon; cut 1 lemon into wedges.]
- Cut a small corner from the sausage packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
Finish the pasta
- Salt the water for the penne.
- Time the penne.
- Juice the lemon.
- Garnish the pasta.