In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Fried black rice with turkey, cabbage, and Japanese shichimi togarashi
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 720 Calories/Serving
Our chefs transform simple fried rice into a powerhouse meal featuring black rice, a nutritional superstar, plus lean ground turkey and fiber-rich veggies.
In your bag
- ¾ cup black rice
- 10 ounces ground turkey
- 3 ounces organic cremini or other button mushrooms
- 3 organic scallions
- 2 organic eggs
- 1 wedge organic green or other cabbage (about ½ pound)
- 1 organic lime
- ¾ cup organic mirepoix (onions - carrots - celery)
- Sunbasket stir-fry blend (coconut aminos - sesame oil - garlic - ginger)
- 1 teaspoon shichimi togarashi
Calories 720, Total Fat 29g (37% DV), Sat. Fat 5g (25% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 230mg (77% DV), Sodium 470mg (20% DV), Total Carb. 82g (30% DV), Fiber 12g (43% DV), Total Sugars 14g (Incl. 4g Added Sugars, 8% DV), Protein 39g
Contains: Eggs, Tree Nuts (coconut), Sesame
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the rice
- Rinse the rice.
In a small sauce pot, combine the rice and 1¼ cups [2¼ cups] water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the rice is just tender and the liquid is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Uncover and continue cooking until the rice is slightly dry, 3 to 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork, cover, and keep warm.
While the rice cooks, prepare the stir-fry ingredients.
Prep the stir-fry ingredients
- Cut a small corner from the ground turkey packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
- Cut the mushrooms into quarters.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions, keeping the white and green parts separate. Set aside the green parts for garnish.
- Crack the eggs into a medium bowl and season with salt and pepper. Using a fork or whisk, lightly beat until just blended
- Cut away any core from the cabbage; thinly slice the cabbage.
- Cut the lime into wedges for garnish.
Cook the turkey and vegetables
In a large frying pan [large sauce pot] over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the ground turkey and mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring to break up the meat, until the turkey is lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the mirepoix and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are just tender, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in the white parts of the scallions and cook until fragrant and the turkey is cooked through, about 1 minute. Transfer to a plate. Do not clean the pan.
Finish the fried rice
In the same pan used for the turkey and vegetables, if dry, add 1 to 2 teaspoons oil. Warm over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Add the eggs and cook, stirring gently, until just set but still moist, 2 to 4 minutes. Add the rice, turkey and vegetables, cabbage, and stir-fry blend and cook, stirring constantly, until the ingredients are warmed through, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the fried rice to individual bowls. Garnish with the green parts of the scallions, sprinkle with the shichimi togarashi, and serve with the lime wedges.
- Measure the water for the rice.
- Time the rice.
- Separate the white and green parts of the scallions.
- Garnish with the scallions.
- Sprinkle with the shichimi togarashi.