In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Fully loaded beef tacos with Mexican simmer sauce
2 Servings, 630 Calories/Serving
It takes only about half an hour to whip up these flavor-packed tacos, thanks to our ready-made simmer sauce for the beef and easy fixins.
In your bag
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 poblano (optional)
- Sunbasket Mexican simmer sauce base (tomatoes - onion - olive oil - fresh garlic - chili powder - sweet paprika - coriander - cumin - dried Mexican oregano)
- 16 Mi Rancho 100% corn tortillas*
- 2 romaine hearts
- 1 red onion
- 1 lime
- 2 or 3 Roma tomatoes (about 7 ounces total)
- 2 avocados
- 6 or 7 sprigs fresh cilantro
- ½ cup shredded Mexican cheese blend* (Monterey Jack - sharp cheddar - queso blanco - asadero)
Calories 630, Total Fat 32g (41% DV), Sat. Fat 7g (35% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 80mg (27% DV), Sodium 140mg (6% DV), Total Carb. 56g (20% DV), Fiber 16g (57% DV), Total Sugars 10g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 33g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ½ teaspoon kosher salt added to the recipe averages 240mg per serving, or 10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Wash produce before use
Prep the taco filling
- Cut a small corner from the ground beef packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
- If using the poblano, remove the stem, ribs, and seeds; finely chop the poblano. Wash your hands after handling.
Cook the taco filling
Add the simmer sauce base and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thickened and the beef is cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
While the taco filling cooks, heat the tortillas.
Warm the tortillas
- Remove 12 tortillas from the package; save the rest for another use.
While the tortillas warm, prepare the garnishes.
Prep the garnishes
- Trim the root end from the romaine hearts; keep a few leaves whole for taco bowls for any paleo diners.
- Coarsely tear the remaining romaine leaves.
- Peel and finely chop enough red onion to measure 1 cup.
- Cut the lime into wedges.
- Cut away the cores from the tomatoes; coarsely chop the tomatoes.
- Cut the avocados in half lengthwise. Remove the pits, scoop out the flesh, and cut the flesh into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Strip the cilantro leaves from the stems.
- Arrange the tortillas for warming.
- Tear the romaine leaves.
- Measure out the red onion.
- Scoop out the avocados.
- Assemble their own tacos.