Fully loaded beef tacos with Mexican simmer sauce
Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo-Friendly
25 – 35 Minutes
It takes only about half an hour to whip up these flavor-packed tacos, thanks to our ready-made simmer sauce for the beef and easy fixins.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 poblano (optional)
- Sun Basket Mexican simmer sauce base (tomatoes - onion - olive oil - fresh garlic - chili powder - sweet paprika - coriander - cumin - dried Mexican oregano)
- 16 Mi Rancho 100% corn tortillas*
- 2 romaine hearts
- 1 red onion
- 1 lime
- 2 or 3 Roma tomatoes (about 7 ounces total)
- 2 avocados
- 6 or 7 sprigs fresh cilantro
- ½ cup shredded Mexican cheese blend* (Monterey Jack - sharp cheddar - queso blanco - asadero)
You can turn your remaining tortillas into chips: Heat the oven to 350°F. Cut the tortillas into wedges. On a sheet pan, drizzle the wedges with 1 to 2 teaspoons neutral oil, season generously with salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Bake until crisp, 10 to 12 minutes.
Prep the taco filling
- Cut a small corner from the ground beef packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
- If using the poblano, remove the stem, ribs, and seeds; finely chop the poblano. Wash your hands after handling.
Cook the taco filling
Add the simmer sauce base and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thickened and the beef is cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
While the taco filling cooks, heat the tortillas.
Warm the tortillas
- Remove 12 tortillas from the package; save the rest for another use.
While the tortillas warm, prepare the garnishes.
Prep the garnishes
- Trim the root end from the romaine hearts; keep a few leaves whole for taco bowls for any paleo diners.
- Coarsely tear the remaining romaine leaves.
- Peel and finely chop enough red onion to measure 1 cup.
- Cut the lime into wedges.
- Cut away the cores from the tomatoes; coarsely chop the tomatoes.
- Cut the avocados in half lengthwise. Remove the pits, scoop out the flesh, and cut the flesh into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Strip the cilantro leaves from the stems.
- Arrange the tortillas for warming.
- Tear the romaine leaves.
- Measure out the red onion.
- Scoop out the avocados.
- Assemble their own tacos.
Calories: 630, Protein: 33g (66% DV), Fiber: 16g (64% DV), Total Fat: 32g (49% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 18g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g, Saturated Fat: 7g (35% DV), Cholesterol: 80mg (27% DV), Sodium: 140mg (6% DV), Carbohydrates: 56g (19% DV), Total Sugars: 10g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Contains: Milk
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ½ teaspoon kosher salt added to the recipe averages 240mg per serving, or 10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.