In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Garlic-rubbed steak and kale salad
Dairy-Free, Paleo, Soy-Free, Gluten-Free
2 Servings, 640 Calories/Serving
Use all that meaty goodness by cooking shallots, tomatoes, and mushrooms in the same pan as you do the steak before tossing them in this paleo kale salad.
In your bag
- Steak options:
- 2 top sirloin steaks (about 6 ounces each)
- 1 organic rib-eye steak (about 14 ounces; 1 steak serves 2)
- 2 organic filet mignons (about 5 ounces each)
- 1 or 2 cloves organic peeled fresh garlic
- 1 bunch organic lacinato or curly-leaf kale (about ½ pound)
- Sun Basket Italian vinaigrette (EVOO - red wine vinegar - champagne vinegar - sun-dried tomatoes - fresh garlic - dried oregano - Dijon mustard)
- 1 or 2 organic shallots
- 2 organic Roma or other tomatoes
- 3 ounces organic cremini or other button mushrooms
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh basil
Calories: 640, Protein: 42g (84% DV), Fiber: 5g (20% DV), Total Fat: 44g (68% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 25g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g, Saturated Fat: 12g (60% DV), Cholesterol: 130mg (43% DV), Sodium: 160mg (7% DV), Carbohydrates: 22g (7% DV), Total Sugars: 6g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep and cook the steak; rub with garlic
- Pat the steak dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
- Cut 1  garlic clove in half. Save any remaining garlic for another use.
While the steak cooks and rests, prepare the kale and vegetables.
Prep the kale
- Strip the kale leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the kale leaves.
Prep and char the vegetables
- Peel the shallot and cut in half lengthwise.
- Cut away the cores from the tomatoes; cut the tomatoes in half lengthwise.
- Cut the mushrooms into quarters.
In the same pan, if dry, add 1 to 2 teaspoons oil. Warm over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and starting to soften, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
While the vegetables cook, prepare the basil.
Prep the basil; assemble the salad
- Strip the basil leaves from the stems; coarsely tear the leaves for garnish.
- Strip the kale leaves.
- Massage the kale.
- Strip and tear the basil leaves.
- Toss the kale salad.
- Top the salad with steak and basil.