In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
General Tso's tofu with broccoli and brown rice
Dairy-Free, Vegan, Lean & Clean, Mediterranean, Gluten-Free, Family-Friendly
2 Servings, 540 Calories/Serving
Do you know General Tso’s? Our plant-based remix of the famous chicken dish coats crispy tofu in an oh-so-tasty sweet and sour sauce, all spooned over nutty brown rice.
In your bag
- ½ cup quick-cooking long-grain brown rice
- ½ pound organic broccoli
- 3 organic scallions
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- Sunbasket General Tso’s sauce base (rice vinegar - gluten-free tamari - orange juice - brown sugar - ketchup - garlic)
- 2 tablespoons rice flour
- 10 ounces Hodo organic firm tofu
- ¼ ounce whole dried chiles (optional)
Calories: 540, Protein: 31g (62% DV), Fiber: 11g (44% DV), Total Fat: 13g (20% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 4.5g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g, Saturated Fat: 2g (10% DV), Cholesterol: 0mg (0% DV), Sodium: 770mg (32% DV), Carbohydrates: 75g (25% DV), Total Sugars: 10g, Added Sugars: 5g (10% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the rice
In a small sauce pot, combine the rice and 1 cup [1¾ cups] water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, 25 to 30 minutes. Fluff with a fork, cover, and keep warm. Meanwhile, prepare the rest of the meal.
Prep and cook the broccoli
- Cut the broccoli into 1-inch florets; trim any coarse stems.
In a medium sauce pot, combine the broccoli with enough water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil and cook until crisp-tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain and season to taste with salt and pepper. Meanwhile, start preparing the remaining ingredients and the tofu.
Prep the remaining ingredients; cook the tofu
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions on the diagonal for garnish.
- In a small bowl, using a fork or whisk, mix together the arrowroot powder, General Tso’s sauce base, and ½ cup [¾ cup] water to form a slurry.
- In a medium bowl, season the rice flour with salt and pepper.
- Pat the tofu dry with paper towels; cut into 1-inch cubes. Transfer to the bowl with the rice flour and toss to coat; shake off any excess.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 3 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Working in batches if needed, add the tofu and cook, turning occasionally, until browned and crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in as many whole dried chiles as you like and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer the tofu and chiles to a paper-towel-lined plate and season to taste with salt and pepper. Wipe out the pan.
Finish the dish
Stir the arrowroot slurry to recombine, then add the slurry to the same pan used for the tofu and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, add the tofu, chiles, and broccoli, and toss to coat. Cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat, discard the chiles, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the rice to individual bowls and top with the tofu and broccoli. Garnish with the scallions and serve.
- Measure the water for the rice.
- Mix the arrowroot slurry.
- Season the rice flour.
- Pat the tofu dry; toss with the rice flour.
- Garnish with the scallions.