In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
General Tso's tofu with broccoli and brown rice
Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Mediterranean, Vegan
2 Servings, 620 Calories/Serving
In our plant-based spin on the famous General Tso’s chicken, we coat crispy tofu in a tasty sweet and sour sauce featuring tamari, brown sugar, ketchup, and garlic.
In your bag
- ¾ cup quick-cooking long-grain brown rice
- 2 tablespoons rice flour
- 10 ounces Hodo organic firm tofu
- ¼ ounce whole dried chiles (optional)
- 3 organic scallions
- ½ pound organic broccoli
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- Sunbasket General Tso’s sauce base (rice vinegar - gluten-free tamari - orange juice - brown sugar - ketchup - garlic)
Calories 620, Total Fat 14g (18% DV), Sat. Fat 2g (10% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 0mg (0% DV), Sodium 770mg (33% DV), Total Carb. 92g (33% DV), Fiber 11g (39% DV), Total Sugars 10g (Incl. 7g Added Sugars, 14% DV), Protein 32g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the rice
In a small sauce pot, combine the rice and 1½ cups [2½ cups] water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, 25 to 30 minutes. Fluff with a fork, cover, and keep warm. Meanwhile, prepare the rest of the meal.
Prep and cook the tofu
- In a medium bowl, season the rice flour with salt and pepper.
- Pat the tofu dry with paper towels; cut into 1-inch cubes. Transfer to the bowl with the rice flour and toss to coat; shake off any excess.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 3 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Working in batches if needed, add the tofu and cook, turning occasionally, until browned and crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in as many whole dried chiles as you like and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Transfer the tofu and chiles to a paper-towel-lined plate and season to taste with salt and pepper. Wipe out the pan. While the tofu is cooking, prepare the scallions and broccoli.
Prep the scallions and broccoli; cook the broccoli
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions on the diagonal for garnish.
- Cut the broccoli into 1-inch florets; trim any coarse stems.
In the same pan used for the tofu, add the broccoli and enough salted water to cover halfway. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until crisp-tender and bright green, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain and return to the pan; season to taste with salt and pepper.
Finish the dish
- In a small bowl, using a fork or whisk, mix together the arrowroot powder, General Tso’s sauce base, and ½ cup [¾ cup] water to form a slurry.
Add the arrowroot slurry to the pan with the broccoli and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until thickened, about 1 minute. Add the tofu and chiles, stir to coat, and cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat, discard the chiles, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the rice to individual bowls and top with the tofu and broccoli. Garnish with the scallions and serve.
- Measure the water for the rice.
- Season the rice flour.
- Pat the tofu dry; toss with the rice flour.
- Mix the arrowroot slurry.
- Garnish with the scallions.