In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
General Tso's tofu with green beans and brown rice
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Vegan, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 540 Calories/Serving
Invented by a Chinese chef in the 20th century, General Tso’s chicken is a foodie love affair for the ages. Our plant-based spin stars crispy tofu coated in our sweet, sticky, and umami-rich sauce.
In your bag
- ½ cup quick-cooking long-grain brown rice
- 3 organic scallions
- 6 ounces organic green beans
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- Sunbasket General Tso’s sauce base (rice vinegar - gluten-free tamari - orange juice - brown sugar - tomato paste - garlic)
- 2 tablespoons rice flour
- 10 ounces Hodo organic firm tofu
- ¼ ounce whole dried chiles (optional)
Calories 540, Total Fat 13g (17% DV), Sat. Fat 2g (10% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 0mg (0% DV), Sodium 750mg (33% DV), Total Carb. 75g (27% DV), Fiber 11g (39% DV), Total Sugars 11g (Incl. 6g Added Sugars, 12% DV), Protein 30g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.
Wash produce before use
Cook the rice
In a small sauce pot, combine the rice and 1 cup [1¾ cups] water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, 20 to 25 minutes. Fluff with a fork, cover, and keep warm. Meanwhile, prepare the rest of the meal.
Prep the remaining ingredients
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions on the diagonal for garnish.
- Trim the stem ends from the green beans if needed; cut the beans into 2-inch lengths.
- In a small bowl, using a fork or whisk, mix together the arrowroot powder, General Tso’s sauce base, and ½ cup [¾ cup] water.
- In a medium bowl, season the rice flour with salt and pepper.
- Cut the tofu into 1-inch cubes. Pat the tofu dry with paper towels. Transfer to the bowl with the rice flour and toss to coat; shake off any excess.
Cook the stir-fry
In a wok or large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 3 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Working in batches if needed, add the tofu and cook, turning occasionally, until browned and crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in the green beans and as many whole dried chiles as you like and cook until the beans are crisp-tender, 1 to 2 minutes.
Stir the General Tso’s arrowroot slurry to recombine, then add the slurry and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, toss the ingredients to coat, and cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat, discard the chiles, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the rice to individual bowls and top with the tofu and green beans. Garnish with the scallions and serve.
- Measure the water for the rice.
- Combine the arrowroot powder, sauce base, and water.
- Season the rice flour.
- Pat the tofu dry; toss with the rice flour.
- Garnish with the scallions.