Gingered chicken salad with mango and rice noodles
Paleo-Friendly, Gluten Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free
25 – 35 Minutes
There are ordinary chicken salads, and then there is our paleo-friendly and gluten-free version, packed with Southeast Asian flavors.
- 5 ounces flat rice noodles*
- 2 limes
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 4 chicken cutlets (about ¼ pound each)
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger
- Dressing base (fish sauce - coconut vinegar - coconut sugar)
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek (optional)
- 2 romaine hearts
- 2 mangoes
- ⅓ cup roasted cashews
- 5 ounces cherry tomatoes
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh basil
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
- *Not paleo; omit for a paleo-strict version.
Fish sauce is made by packing anchovies in salt and letting them ferment, creating a delicious funky flavor. It’s used much like soy sauce, as a salt-like seasoning. The ancient Romans had a version called garum.
Soak the rice noodles
- Set the rice noodles in a large heatproof bowl.
While the water heats and the noodles soak, prepare the limes and chicken.
Prep the limes and poach the chicken
- Juice 1 lime.
- Cut the remaining lime into wedges for garnish.
While the chicken cooks and cools, prepare the ginger dressing and remaining salad ingredients.
Make the ginger dressing
- Grate or peel and finely chop enough ginger to measure 1 teaspoon.
Prep the remaining salad ingredients
- Trim the root end from each romaine heart.
- Coarsely tear the romaine leaves.
- Trim off the top and bottom of each mango; cut away the peel, then cut the flesh into two halves away from the pit. Cut each half in half lengthwise, then thinly slice crosswise.
- Coarsely chop the cashews.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half.
- Strip the basil leaves from the stems; coarsely tear the leaves.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
Toss the salad
- Juice the lime.
- Stir the ginger dressing.
- Tear the romaine leaves.
- Strip and tear the basil leaves.
- Toss the salad.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 35g (70% DV), Fiber: 5g (20% DV), Total Fat: 35g (54% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 10g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 8g, Saturated Fat: 14g (70% DV), Cholesterol: 65mg (22% DV), Sodium: 1050mg (44% DV), Carbohydrates: 58g (19% DV), Total Sugars: 27g, Added Sugars (Coconut sugar): 2g (4% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Contains: Fish, tree nuts.
Paleo-strict nutrition per serving: Calories: 470, Protein: 35g (70% DV), Fiber: 5g (20% DV), Total Fat: 35g (54% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 10g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 8g, Saturated Fat: 14g (70% DV), Cholesterol: 65mg (22% DV), Sodium: 1050mg (44% DV), Carbohydrates: 58g (19% DV), Total Sugars: 27g, Added Sugars (Coconut sugar): 2g (4% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Contains: Fish, tree nuts.