Gluten-free French toast with blood orange syrup
While this gluten-free version of classic French toast could be made with any type of orange, we love the color and intense flavor that blood oranges bring.
- 2 blood oranges
- ¼ cup
- plus 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 12 slices gluten-free sandwich bread
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup hemp milk
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
Make the syrup
- Zest and juice the oranges.
Make the French toast
- Cut the bread into ½-inch-thick slices.
In a frying pan over medium-high heat, warm ¼ cup coconut oil until hot but not smoking. Add the bread and cook until well browned and the egg is set, 2 to 3 minutes per side.