Gluten-free pasta with quick ratatouille and gremolata
Gluten-Free, Vegan, Lean & Clean, Dairy-Free
25 – 35 Minutes
Visually striking as well as satisfying to eat, black bean spaghetti keeps this vegetarian and Mediterranean-inspired pasta dish gluten-free.
- 1/2 pound black bean spaghetti
- 1 red onion
- 1 or 2 zucchini (about ½ pound)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 lemon
- 1 or 2 cloves peeled fresh garlic
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons walnuts
- 1½ ounces baby arugula
- ½ teaspoon red chile flakes (optional)
Make It Leaner
Use just 1 teaspoon oil in the gremolata and you’ll lose 40 calories and 4.5 grams of fat per serving. To cut an additional 40 calories and 5 grams of fat per serving, garnish the dish with only 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts.
Cook the black bean spaghetti
- Measure out two-thirds of the spaghetti. Save the rest for another use.
While the water heats and the spaghetti cooks, prepare the ratatouille.
Prep the ingredients and cook the ratatouille
- Peel and thinly slice enough red onion to measure ½ cup.
- Trim the ends from the zucchini; cut the zucchini in half lengthwise, then crosswise on the diagonal into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half.
While the vegetables cook, prepare the gremolata and walnuts.
Make the gremolata; chop the walnuts
- Zest and juice the lemon, keeping the zest and juice separate.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Coarsely chop the walnuts for garnish.
Finish the pasta
Protein: 38g (76% DV), Fiber: 21g (84% DV), Total Fat: 29g (45% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 13g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 9g, Saturated Fat: 4.5g (23% DV), Cholesterol: 0mg (0% DV), Sodium: 270mg (11% DV), Carbohydrates: 44g (15% DV), Total Sugars: 17g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Contains: Tree Nuts, Soybeans