Golden coconut curry with tofu, spinach, and black rice
Gluten-Free, Vegan, Dairy-Free
25 – 35 Minutes
Black rice makes a striking backdrop to the velvety curry in this gluten-free, vegan main that is great for entertaining and easy to make ahead.
- ¾ cup black rice
- 1 or 2 cloves peeled fresh garlic
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger
- ½ pound Hodo Soy braised tofu
- 1 red bell pepper
- ¼ pound cremini mushrooms
- 1 lime
- Golden curry spice blend (yellow curry powder - Madras curry powder - garam masala)
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 5 ounces baby spinach
Up to 1 day ahead, you can make the curry as directed in Steps 2 and 3 but don’t add the spinach or lime juice; let cool, cover, and refrigerate. The following day, cook the rice; when it’s almost done, rewarm the curry, then stir in the spinach and lime juice just before serving.
Cook the rice
While the rice cooks, make the curry.
Prep the curry ingredients
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Grate or peel and finely chop enough ginger to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Cut the tofu into 1-inch cubes.
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; cut the bell pepper into ¼-inch-wide strips.
- Trim the stem ends from the mushrooms; thinly slice the mushrooms.
- Cut the lime in half. Juice half and cut half into wedges for garnish.
Cook the curry
Add the coconut milk and ½ cup water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until the vegetables have softened slightly, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the spinach and simmer until just wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the lime juice and season to taste with salt.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 30g (60% DV), Fiber: 12g (48% DV), Total Fat: 38g (58% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 18g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 8g, Saturated Fat: 6g (30% DV), Cholesterol: 0mg (0% DV), Sodium: 150mg (6% DV) (does not include pantry salt; for reference, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt added to the recipe averages 240mg per serving, or 10% DV), Carbohydrates: 77g (26% DV), Total Sugars: 7g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Contains: Tree nuts, soy.