In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Gong Bao chicken with cashews and black rice
2 Servings, 690 Calories/Serving
With steamed black rice, your choice of protein, and crunchy cashews, this easy-to-make Sichuan dish is even better than takeout.
In your bag
- ¾ cup black rice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 organic red or other bell pepper
- 3 organic scallions
- 1 teaspoon Sichuan peppercorns (optional)
- ¼ cup whole dried chiles (optional)
- Sun Basket Gong Bao sauce base (gluten-free tamari - toasted sesame oil - garlic - brown sugar - ginger)
- 3 tablespoons dry-roasted cashews
Calories: 690, Protein: 33g (66% DV), Fiber: 6g (24% DV), Total Fat: 29g (45% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 12g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 7g, Saturated Fat: 4g (20% DV), Cholesterol: 95mg (32% DV), Sodium: 810mg (34% DV), Carbohydrates: 75g (25% DV), Total Sugars: 10g, Added Sugars: 4g (8% DV).
Contains: Tree Nuts (cashew), Soybeans
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the rice
Prep and marinate your protein
- Chicken thighs: Pat dry with a paper towel; cut the chicken into 1-inch pieces.
- Chicken, steak, or pork strips: Cut a small corner from the packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer the meat to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
- Shrimp: Rinse and drain the shrimp. Pat dry on a paper-towel-lined plate.
- Tofu: Pat the tofu dry with paper towels; cut into ½-inch cubes.
Prep the remaining ingredients
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; cut the pepper into ½-inch pieces.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; cut 2  scallions crosswise into 1-inch lengths for the stir-fry. Thinly slice the remaining scallion [2 scallions] on the diagonal for garnish.
- If using the Sichuan peppercorns, on a cutting board, using a rolling pin or the bottom of a small pot or bowl, lightly crush the peppercorns.
- If using the whole dried chiles, cut in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. Wash your hands after handling.
Start cooking your protein
Cook the vegetables; finish the dish
Remove from the heat and discard the chiles, if using. Stir in the cashews and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Measure the water for the rice.
- Time the rice.
- Count the scallions.
- Garnish with the scallion.