In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Gong Bao chicken with cashews and black rice
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Spicy
2 Servings, 690 Calories/Serving
With steamed black rice, your choice of protein, and our Gong Bao sauce, this Chinese stir-fry has major taste sensations: sweet, sour, spicy, savory—and a lil’ tongue-numbing!
In your bag
- ¾ cup black rice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 organic red or other bell pepper
- 3 organic scallions
- 1 teaspoon Sichuan peppercorns (optional)
- ¼ cup whole dried chiles (optional)
- Sunbasket Gong Bao sauce base (gluten-free tamari - toasted sesame oil - garlic - brown sugar - ginger)
- 3 tablespoons dry-roasted cashews
Calories: 690, Protein: 33g (66% DV), Fiber: 6g (24% DV), Total Fat: 29g (45% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 12g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 7g, Saturated Fat: 4g (20% DV), Cholesterol: 95mg (32% DV), Sodium: 810mg (34% DV), Carbohydrates: 75g (25% DV), Total Sugars: 10g, Added Sugars: 4g (8% DV).
Contains: Tree Nuts (cashew), Soybeans
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the rice
In a small sauce pot, combine the black rice and 1¼ cups [2¼ cups] water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and keep covered. Meanwhile, prepare the rest of the meal.
Prep and marinate your protein
- Chicken thighs: Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Chicken, steak, or pork strips: Cut a small corner from the packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer the meat to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
- Shrimp: Rinse and drain the shrimp. Pat dry on a paper-towel-lined plate.
- Tofu: Pat the tofu dry with paper towels; cut into ½-inch cubes.
- Plant-based chicken: Pat the plant-based chicken dry with a paper towel.
In a medium bowl, combine your protein, cornstarch, and sherry vinegar; season lightly with salt and toss to coat. Let stand while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; cut the pepper into thin strips.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; cut 2  scallions crosswise into 1-inch lengths for the stir-fry. Thinly slice the remaining scallion [2 scallions] on the diagonal for garnish.
- If using the Sichuan peppercorns, on a cutting board, using a rolling pin or the bottom of a small pot or bowl, lightly crush the peppercorns.
- If using the whole dried chiles, cut in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. Wash your hands after handling.
Start cooking your protein
In a wok or large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] oil until hot but not smoking. Using a slotted spoon or tongs, remove your protein from the marinade, letting the excess marinade drip back into the bowl. Add your protein to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes for chicken and 2 to 4 minutes for all other proteins. Transfer to a plate. Wipe out the pan.
Cook the vegetables; finish the dish
In the same pan used for your protein, warm 1 teaspoon [2 tsp] oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add as many peppercorns and dried chiles as you like and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the bell pepper and scallion pieces, season lightly with salt and pepper, and cook until lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in your protein and any accumulated juices and the Gong Bao sauce base, toss to coat, and cook until the sauce is thickened slightly and the protein is cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes.
Remove from the heat and discard the chiles, if using. Stir in the cashews and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the rice to individual bowls and top with the stir-fry. Garnish with the thinly sliced scallion and serve.
- Measure the water for the rice.
- Time the rice.
- Count the scallions.
- Garnish with the scallion.