In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Greek lemon chicken soup with gluten-free orzo and grape leaves
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free
2 Servings, 690 Calories/Serving
Made in just one pan, this gluten-free and clean-eater’s spin on a classic Greek soup features orzo, chicken, and briny grape leaves.
In your bag
- 3 brined grape leaves
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 1 or 2 shallots
- 1 or 2 cloves peeled fresh garlic
- Soup spice blend (cinnamon - allspice)
- 5 ounces chopped kale
- ½ cup gluten-free orzo
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 or 3 sprigs fresh mint
- 2 or 3 sprigs fresh dill
- 1 lemon
Grape leaves, which have been used in Greek cooking for millennia, are available fresh, frozen, or brined. They’re known for their tanginess, which comes from their large store of tartaric acid.
Calories: 690, Protein: 51g (102% DV), Fiber: 9g (36% DV), Total Fat: 21g (32% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 12g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g, Saturated Fat: 2.5g (13% DV), Cholesterol: 125mg (42% DV), Sodium: 190mg (8% DV), Carbohydrates: 70g (23% DV), Total Sugars: 10g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt added to the recipe averages 240mg per serving, or 10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Wash produce before use
Soak the grape leaves
- Rinse the grape leaves under cold water.
While the leaves soak, cook the chicken.
Poach the chicken
While the chicken cooks and cools, prepare the vegetables.
Prep the vegetables
- Peel and thinly slice enough shallots to measure ¼ cup.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1½ teaspoons.
- Drain the grape leaves. Remove any coarse stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
Start the soup
Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the orzo is just tender, 6 to 8 minutes, adding more poaching liquid as needed if the soup becomes too thick.
When the soup is almost done, prepare the herbs and lemon.
Finish the soup
- Strip the mint leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Coarsely chop the dill.
- Juice the lemon.