In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Greek lemon chicken soup with gluten-free orzo and grape leaves
Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Gluten-Free
2 Servings, 690 Calories/Serving
Made in just one pan, this gluten-free and clean-eater’s spin on a classic Greek soup features orzo, chicken, and briny grape leaves.
In your bag
- 3 brined grape leaves
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 1 or 2 shallots
- 1 or 2 cloves peeled fresh garlic
- Soup spice blend (cinnamon - allspice)
- 5 ounces chopped kale
- ½ cup gluten-free orzo
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 or 3 sprigs fresh mint
- 2 or 3 sprigs fresh dill
- 1 lemon
Calories: 690, Protein: 51g (102% DV), Fiber: 9g (36% DV), Total Fat: 21g (32% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 12g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g, Saturated Fat: 2.5g (13% DV), Cholesterol: 125mg (42% DV), Sodium: 190mg (8% DV), Carbohydrates: 70g (23% DV), Total Sugars: 10g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt added to the recipe averages 240mg per serving, or 10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Wash produce before use
Soak the grape leaves
- Rinse the grape leaves under cold water.
While the leaves soak, cook the chicken.
Poach the chicken
While the chicken cooks and cools, prepare the vegetables.
Prep the vegetables
- Peel and thinly slice enough shallots to measure ¼ cup.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1½ teaspoons.
- Drain the grape leaves. Remove any coarse stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
Start the soup
Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the orzo is just tender, 6 to 8 minutes, adding more poaching liquid as needed if the soup becomes too thick.
When the soup is almost done, prepare the herbs and lemon.
Finish the soup
- Strip the mint leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Coarsely chop the dill.
- Juice the lemon.