Greek-style chickpea gyros with spinach and tzatziki

In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.

Greek-style chickpea gyros with spinach and tzatziki

Greek-style chickpea gyros with spinach and tzatziki

Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Vegetarian, Diabetes-Friendly, Spicy, <600 Calories, Protein Plus

2 Servings, 580 Calories/Serving

20 Minutes

In these vegetarian Greek-style gyros, chickpeas tossed with our smoky harissa blend make a satisfying alternative to the usual beef or lamb.

Get delicious recipes with organic produce and clean ingredients delivered

View our meal plans

In your bag

1 bag serves 2 (2 bags serve 4)
Sunbasket is proud to source the organic ingredients indicated below. On the rare occasion we are unable to meet our organic promise, we'll put a note in your bag.
  • 2 cups cooked chickpeas
  • Sunbasket harissa spice blend (granulated garlic - harissa powder - sweet smoked paprika)
  • 1 organic red onion
  • ¼ pound organic grape or cherry tomatoes
  • 1 organic cucumber
  • ½ cup Greek yogurt
  • 4 Atoria's Family Bakery lavash
  • 3 ounces organic baby spinach or other leafy greens
  • 2 tablespoons sambal oelek (optional)

Nutrition per serving

Calories 580, Total Fat 17g (22% DV), Sat. Fat 3g (15% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 5mg (2% DV), Sodium 690mg (30% DV), Total Carb. 88g (32% DV), Fiber 21g (75% DV), Total Sugars 14g (Incl. 3g Added Sugars, 6% DV), Protein 27g
Contains: Milk, Wheat

Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten.

*Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.


2-serving instructions (4-serving modifications in red)

Wash produce before use


Prep and roast the chickpeas

Heat the oven to 400°F.
  • Rinse the chickpeas; pat dry with a paper towel.
In a medium bowl, stir together the chickpeas, harissa spice blend, and 1 to 2 tablespoons oil; season with salt and pepper. On a sheet pan, spread the chickpeas in an even layer. Roast, stirring halfway through, until lightly browned, 12 to 15 minutes.
While the chickpeas roast, prepare the rest of the meal.


Prep the vegetables; make the tzatziki

  • Peel the onion and thinly slice half for garnish; save the remaining onion for another use. 
  • Cut the tomatoes in half; cut any large tomatoes into quarters. Set aside for garnish. 
  • Peel the cucumber if desired; cut the cucumber into ¼-inch pieces. Measure ¼ cup [½ cup] for the tzatziki; set aside the rest for serving.

In a small bowl, using a fork or masher, lightly mash the ¼ cup [½ cup] cucumber. Stir in the yogurt and season to taste with salt and pepper. 


Warm the lavash

Brush the tops of the lavash lightly with oil. Place side by side directly on the oven rack or on a sheet pan and bake until warmed through, 2 to 3 minutes.


Assemble the gyros

Transfer the lavash to a work surface and spoon on the tzatziki. Top with the chickpeas, spinach, onion, and tomatoes and dollop with as much sambal oelek as you like. Drizzle with oil if desired and season with salt and pepper. 


Transfer the gyros to individual plates and serve the remaining cucumber and any remaining sambal oelek on the side.
Kids Can!
  • Rinse the chickpeas.
  • Mash the cucumber; stir the tzatziki.
  • Brush the lavash with oil.
  • Help assemble the gyros.