Summer vegetable panini with mozzarella and arugula pesto
20 – 30 Minutes
Not your grandmother’s grilled cheese, these vegetarian sandwiches ooze with melted mozzarella, mushrooms, basil, and sun-dried tomatoes.
- 1 or 2 summer squash
- ¼ pound fresh mozzarella
- Fresh basil
- 2 ounces white button mushrooms
- 2 lavash flatbreads
- ¼ pound baby arugula
- 3 tablespoons roasted pumpkin seeds
- Sun Basket arugula pesto (arugula - walnuts - Parmesan - olive oil - salt)
- ½ ounce sun-dried tomatoes
If you have a panini press, pull it out for this recipe. Or brush the flatbreads lightly with oil and cook the sandwiches on an outdoor grill.
Soak the sun-dried tomatoes
Prep and cook the squash
- Trim the ends from the summer squash; cut the squash on the diagonal into ¼-inch-thick slices.
While the squash cooks, prepare the remaining panini ingredients.
Prep the remaining panini ingredients
- Cut the mozzarella into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Strip the basil leaves from the stems.
- Drain the sun-dried tomatoes and pat dry; thinly slice the tomatoes.
- Thinly slice the mushrooms.
Assemble and cook the panini
Warm the pan used for the squash over medium heat. Brush the outside of the panini lightly with oil, add to the hot pan, and cook over medium heat until the flatbread is toasted and the mozzarella has melted, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
While the panini cook, finish the squash.
Dress the squash
Nutrition per serving: Nutrition per serving: Protein: 17g (34% DV), Fiber: 4g (16% DV), Total Fat: 32g (49% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 15g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g, Saturated Fat: 7g (35% DV), Cholesterol: 20mg (7% DV), Sodium: 300mg (13% DV), Carbohydrates: 44g (15% DV), Total Sugars: 4g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Contains: tree nuts, milk, wheat