Grilled naan panini with summer squash and arugula pesto
Vegetarian, Soy Free
Not your grandmother’s grilled cheese sandwiches, these ooze with melted fresh mozzarella, sautéed spinach, basil, and lightly salty sun-dried tomatoes, all held together in sturdy yet pliable naan flatbreads. A nourishing, casual supper, perfect for enjoying in the backyard with a chilled rosé.
- ½ ounce sun-dried tomatoes
- ¾ pound summer squash
- 5 ounces fresh mozzarella
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves
- Fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 6 ounces baby spinach
- 2 naan
- Arugula pesto (arugula - parsley - pine nuts - canola olive oil blend - salt)
Soak the sun-dried tomatoes
Cook the squash; prep the panini fillings
- Trim the ends and cut the squash lengthwise on the diagonal ¼ inch thick.
- Cut the mozzarella into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Coarsely chop the garlic.
- Strip the basil leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
Toast the pine nuts
Cook the spinach
Make the sandwiches; dress the squash
- Drain the sun-dried tomatoes and pat dry.
Add the sandwiches to the hot pan and cook over medium heat until the naan is toasted and the cheese has melted, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
To the bowl with the squash, add the pine nuts and pesto and toss to coat.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 730, Protein: 26 g, Total Fat: 48 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 17.5 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 8 g, Saturated Fat: 14 g, Cholesterol: 60 mg, Carbohydrates: 58 g, Fiber: 13 g, Added Sugar: 0 g, Sodium: 790 mg
Contains: tree nuts, milk