Grilled sirloins with sautéed peppers and arugula pesto
Gluten Free, Paleo, Dairy Free, Soy Free, Low Calorie
For a summery side for steak, Chef Justine created this riff on piperade, Basque-style braised bell peppers—simmered in a garlicky mix of olive oil and water, sweetened with the Japanese cooking wine, mirin. For a strictly paleo version, omit the mirin.
- Two 6-ounce sirloin steaks
- 1 teaspoon Oaktown Spice Shop harissa powder
- ¾ pound red bell peppers
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves
- Fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons mirin (optional)
- Arugula pesto (baby arugula - walnuts - fresh garlic - olive oil - salt)
Season the steaks; prep the bell peppers and garlic
- Pat the steaks dry with a paper towel. Season with the harissa powder, salt, and black pepper.
- Remove the ribs and seeds from the bell peppers; cut the peppers into 1-inch strips.
- Coarsely chop the garlic. With the side of a knife, crush to a coarse paste.
- Strip the thyme leaves from the stems; chop the leaves.
Cook the peppers
Cook the steaks
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 600, Protein: 38 g, Total Fat: 41 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 25 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 6.5 g, Saturated Fat: 8 g, Cholesterol: 95 mg, Carbohydrates: 17 g, Fiber: 4 g, Added Sugar: 5 g, Sodium: 410 mg
Contains: tree nuts