Grilled steak and peach salad with kale and ginger-basil dressing
Paleo, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free, Lean & Clean
25 – 35 Minutes
Grilled peach slices add surprising sweetness to our paleo and gluten-free steak salad—and charring them doesn’t even require an outdoor grill.
- 1 lemon
- Fresh ginger
- Peeled fresh garlic
- Fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon honey (optional)
- Two 6-ounce top sirloin steaks
- 1 red onion
- 1 peach
- 2 or 3 red radishes
- 3 tablespoons roasted hazelnuts
- ¼ pound baby kale
Peaches have a high water content, so they need plenty of heat to char without turning mealy. Give the pan a minute to preheat before adding the peach halves—or cook them on the hottest part of your outdoor grill.
Make It Leaner: You can reduce the calories by 70 and the fat by 7 grams per serving by using half the hazelnuts and omitting the oil in the dressing. The flavors of the peach, basil, and ginger are so vibrant and intense that you won’t miss the oil.
Make the ginger-basil dressing
- Zest and juice the lemon, keeping the zest and juice separate.
- Grate or peel and finely chop enough ginger to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Strip the basil leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
Prep and cook the steaks
- Pat the steaks dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
While the steaks cook and rest, prepare the onion and peach.
Prep and cook the onion and peach
- Peel the red onion and cut into ½-inch-thick rings.
- Cut the peach in half and remove the pit.
Warm the same pan used for the steaks over medium-high heat until hot. Add the onion rings and peach halves, cut side down, and cook, without turning, until lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer the onion rings to the bowl with the ginger-basil dressing and toss to coat. Transfer the peach halves to a cutting board to cool, then cut the peach halves into ½-inch-wide wedges.
While the onion and peach cook, prepare the remaining salad ingredients.
Prep the remaining salad ingredients
- Trim the ends from the radishes. Cut them in half, then cut the halves into thin half-moons.
- Coarsely chop the hazelnuts.
Toss the salad
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 41g (82% DV), Fiber: 6g (24% DV), Total Fat: 38g (58% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 21g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.5g, Saturated Fat: 11g (55% DV), Cholesterol: 130mg (43% DV), Sodium: 370mg (15% DV), Carbohydrates: 22g (7% DV), Total Sugars: 10g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Contains: tree nuts.