In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Southwestern steaks with roasted peppers and New Mexican chile salsa
Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Diabetes-Friendly
2 Servings, 630 Calories/Serving
Don’t fear the mild chiles in this easy paleo steak dinner. If you have a cast-iron skillet or a grill pan, this is the time to break it out because it gives steaks the best char when cooking indoors.
In your bag
- 1 organic sweet potato
- 1 organic red onion
- 1 organic red or other bell pepper
- 1 organic jalapeño or other fresh chile (optional)
- Steak options:
- 2 top sirloin steaks (about 5 ounces each)
- 2 organic New York strips (about 7 ounces each)
- 2 organic rib-eyes (about 7 ounces each)
- 1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- 1 organic lime
- Sunbasket New Mexican chile salsa (EVOO - garlic - dried New Mexican chiles - kosher salt - coriander - dried Mexican oregano)
Calories: 630, Protein: 48g (96% DV), Fiber: 8g (32% DV), Total Fat: 30g (46% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 19g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.5g, Saturated Fat: 6g (30% DV), Cholesterol: 120mg (40% DV), Sodium: 560mg (23% DV), Carbohydrates: 44g (15% DV), Total Sugars: 12g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep the vegetables
- Scrub or peel the sweet potato. Cut the potato in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ¼-inch-thick half-moons.
- Peel the onion and cut it crosswise into ¼-inch-thick slices. Separate the slices into rings.
- Remove the stems, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; thinly slice the pepper.
- If using the jalapeño, remove the stem, ribs, and seeds; thinly slice the jalapeño. Wash your hands after handling.
Roast the vegetables
While the vegetables roast, prepare the steaks.
Prep and cook the steaks
- Pat the steaks dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper and the sweet smoked paprika.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the steaks and cook, turning frequently, until well browned, 6 to 8 minutes for medium-rare. Transfer to a plate to rest for 5 minutes.
For the New York strips or rib-eyes:
In a large frying pan over high heat, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the steaks and cook, turning once, until well browned, 1 to 2 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to a plate to rest for 5 minutes.
While the steaks rest, prepare the remaining ingredients and finish the vegetables.
Prep the remaining ingredients; finish the vegetables
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
- Cut the lime into wedges for garnish.
- Scrub the sweet potato.
- Separate the onion slices into rings.
- Drizzle the vegetables with oil.
- Time the vegetables and steaks.