Harissa-rubbed chicken with artichoke tapenade and seared romaine
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo
30 – 40 Minutes
Bold-flavored pan-seared chicken breasts and romaine team up with a from-scratch artichoke tapenade in this paleo customer favorite.
- 2 boneless skin-on chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- Harissa spice rub (harissa powder - granulated garlic - sweet smoked paprika)
- 1 or 2 cloves peeled fresh garlic
- 2 ounces roasted red peppers
- 2 ounces cooked quartered artichoke hearts
- 3 tablespoons pitted Kalamata olives
- 3 tablespoons Marcona almonds
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 lemon
- 1 romaine heart
- 2 or 3 sprigs fresh basil
To get dinner on the table faster, in Step 2, skip all the prep for the artichoke tapenade except the parsley; instead, toss the ingredients into a food processor and pulse two or three times to make a coarse paste.
Season the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel. Rub the chicken all over with the harissa spice rub; season generously with salt and pepper.
Make the artichoke tapenade
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Scrape off any seeds from the roasted red peppers; coarsely chop the peppers.
- Coarsely chop the artichoke hearts, olives, and almonds.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Zest and juice the lemon, keeping the zest and juice separate; set aside the juice for the basil vinaigrette.
Make the basil vinaigrette
- Strip the basil leaves from the stems; finely chop the leaves.
Cook the chicken and romaine
- Trim the root end from the romaine heart; cut romaine in half lengthwise.
If the pan is dry, add 1 teaspoon oil and warm over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the romaine, cut sides down, and cook until browned and slightly wilted, 4 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Calories: 700, Protein: 42g (84% DV), Fiber: 6g (24% DV), Total Fat: 51g (78% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 50g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 9g, Saturated Fat: 7g (35% DV), Cholesterol: 105mg (35% DV), Sodium: 460mg (19% DV), Carbohydrates: 16g (5% DV), Total Sugars: 3g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Contains: Tree Nuts
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt added to the recipe averages 240mg per serving, or 10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.