Harissa-rubbed chicken with seared romaine and artichoke tapenade
Paleo, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free
30 - 40 Minutes
If you've never had charred romaine, you've got a good thing coming. The lettuce caramelizes in the pan, highlighting its natural sweetness. The crevices between the leaves serve as pockets to collect the artichoke tapenade and basil vinaigrette. Our custom spice rub, inspired by the North African condiment harissa, adds even more bold flavor to the simple pan-cooked chicken breasts.
- Two 8-ounce wing-on chicken breasts
- Harissa spice rub (harissa powder - granulated garlic - sweet smoked paprika)
- Peeled fresh garlic
- 2 ounces roasted red peppers
- 2 ounces quartered cooked artichoke hearts
- 3 tablespoons Kalamata olives
- 3 tablespoons Marcona almonds
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 lemon
- Fresh basil
- 1 romaine heart
Season the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel. Rub the chicken all over with the harissa spice rub; season generously with salt and pepper.
Make the artichoke tapenade
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Scrape off any seeds from the roasted red peppers; coarsely chop the peppers.
- Coarsely chop the artichoke hearts, olives, and almonds.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Zest and juice the lemon, keeping the zest and juice separate; set aside the juice for the vinaigrette.
Stir in the parsley, lemon zest, and 2 teaspoons oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Make the basil vinaigrette
- Strip basil leaves from the stems; finely chop the leaves.
Cook the chicken and romaine
- Trim the root end from the romaine heart; cut romaine in half lengthwise.
If the pan is dry, add 1 teaspoon oil and warm over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the romaine, cut sides down, and cook until browned and slightly wilted, 4 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 700, Protein: 43 g, Total Fat: 52 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 34 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 8 g, Saturated Fat: 8 g, Cholesterol: 130 mg, Carbohydrates: 15 g, Fiber: 6 g, Added Sugar: 0 g, Sodium: 700 mg
Contains: tree nuts