In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Harissa-spiced pork and kale salad with squash and dried cherries
Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Diabetes-Friendly, Mediterranean, Dairy-Free
2 Servings, 680 Calories/Serving
Feast your eyes on this vibrant salad full of fun textures and flavors. We’re talkin’ crisp kale, tender roasted delicata squash, crunchy pumpkin seeds, and chewy dried cherries.
In your bag
- 1 organic delicata squash (about ¾ pound)
- 1 organic red onion
- 1 bunch organic lacinato or other kale (about 10 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon harissa powder (optional)
- Sunbasket “creamy” mustard vinaigrette (whole grain mustard - onion - extra virgin olive oil - Dijon mustard - apple cider vinegar - kosher salt)
- 3 tablespoons dry-roasted pumpkin seeds
- 3 tablespoons dried cherries
Calories 680, Total Fat 38g (58% DV), Sat. Fat 7g (35% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 60mg (20% DV), Sodium 700mg (29% DV), Total Carb. 52g (17% DV), Fiber 9g (36% DV), Total Sugars 16g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 36g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep and roast the squash and onion
Heat the oven to 425°F.
- Trim the ends from the delicata squash. Cut the squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds with a spoon, then cut each half crosswise into ½-inch-thick half-moons.
- Peel and cut the onion into ½-inch-thick wedges, keeping the end of each wedge attached at the root.
On a sheet pan [2 sheet pans], drizzle the squash and onion with 1 to 2 tablespoons oil; season with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Spread in an even layer and roast, stirring once halfway through, until the squash and onion are tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the kale and your protein.
Prep the kale
- Strip the kale leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
In a large bowl, combine the kale with 1 to 2 teaspoons oil, season with salt and pepper, and gently massage the leaves. Let stand while you prepare the rest of the meal.
Prep and cook your protein
- Pork, chicken, or steak strips: Cut a small corner from the packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer the meat to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Season lightly with salt and pepper and as much harissa powder as you like.
- Shrimp or scallops: Rinse and drain the shrimp or scallops. Pat dry on a paper-towel-lined plate. Season lightly with salt and pepper and as much harissa powder as you like.
- Tofu: Pat the tofu dry with paper towels; cut into ½-inch cubes. Season with salt and pepper and as much harissa powder as you like.
- Plant-based chicken: Pat the plant-based chicken dry with a paper towel; season with salt and pepper and as much harissa powder as you like.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add your protein and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes for regular shrimp; 4 to 6 minutes for jumbo shrimp, scallops, pork, steak, tofu, or plant-based chicken; and 6 to 8 minutes for chicken. Transfer to a plate.
Finish the salad
To the bowl with the kale, add the “creamy” mustard vinaigrette and toss to coat. Add the squash, onion, and your protein and gently toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the salad to individual plates. Garnish with the pumpkin seeds and dried cherries and serve.
- Scoop out the squash seeds.
- Toss the squash and onion with oil and season.
- Strip the kale leaves.
- Massage the kale.
- Garnish with pumpkin seeds and dried cherries.