In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Hawaiian steak stir-fry with broccoli and pineapple over steamed rice
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 670 Calories/Serving
What gives this stir-fry its luster and shine? Our teriyaki sauce, that’s what. Made from coconut palm nectar, tamari, rice vinegar, and sesame oil, it adds sweet-sticky deliciousness in every bite.
In your bag
- ½ cup jasmine rice
- ¼ pound organic broccoli
- 1 organic red or other bell pepper
- 1 or 2 cloves organic peeled fresh garlic
- Your choice of protein
- ½ cup organic chopped pineapple
- 3 organic scallions
- Sunbasket teriyaki sauce base (coconut nectar - gluten-free tamari - rice vinegar - toasted sesame oil)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
Nutrition per serving
Calories 670, Total Fat 23g (29% DV), Sat. Fat 4.5g (23% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 95mg (32% DV), Sodium 450mg (20% DV), Total Carb. 78g (28% DV), Fiber 6g (21% DV), Total Sugars 19g (Incl. 11g Added Sugars, 22% DV), Protein 40g
Contains: Soybeans, Sesame
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the rice
- Rinse the rice.
In a medium sauce pot, combine the rice and 1 cup [1½ cups] water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork, cover, and keep warm. Meanwhile, start preparing the rest of the meal.
Prep the broccoli, bell pepper, and garlic
- Cut the broccoli into 1-inch florets; trim any coarse stems.
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; coarsely chop the pepper.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure ½ teaspoon [1 tsp].
Prep and start cooking your protein
- Steak, chicken, or pork strips: Cut a small corner from the packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer the meat to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Season with salt and pepper.
- Shrimp: Rinse and drain the shrimp. Pat dry on a paper-towel-lined plate. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Tofu: Pat the tofu dry with paper towels; cut into ½-inch cubes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Plant-based chicken: Pat the plant-based chicken dry with a paper towel. Season with salt and pepper.
In a wok or large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 2 to 3 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add your protein and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes for shrimp; 2 to 4 minutes for steak, pork, tofu, or plant-based chicken; and 3 to 5 minutes for chicken. Transfer to a plate. Do not clean the pan. While your protein is cooking, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients
- Drain any excess liquid from the pineapple and pat dry.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions.
Finish the stir-fry
In the same pan used for your protein, warm 2 to 3 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the broccoli and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the bell pepper, garlic, pineapple, teriyaki sauce base, and your protein and any accumulated juices. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are crisp-tender and the protein is cooked through, 1 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the scallions and sesame seeds. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the rice to individual bowls, top with the stir-fry, and serve.
- Rinse the rice.
- Measure the water for the rice.
- Press the garlic (if you have a press); measure the garlic.
- Drain the pineapple and pat dry.
- Time the cooking.