Herb-crusted pork chops with kale and apple salad
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo
25 – 35 Minutes
This one-pan, paleo meal makes a perfect autumn dinner party, with a thyme and rosemary crust on the pork plus cooked apples to sweeten the kale.
- 1 bunch kale (about ½ pound)
- Sun Basket honey-mustard dressing base (apple cider vinegar - honey - Dijon mustard)
- 3 tablespoons pecans
- 1 or 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 boneless pork loin chops (about 6 ounces each)
- 1 or 2 shallots
- 2 apples
From our friends in the Williams Sonoma Test Kitchen: “To cut the kale efficiently, stack the leaves and cut them crosswise using a sharp knife. If you have leftover salad, don’t throw it away; surprisingly, it tastes good the next day.”
Prep the kale
- Strip the kale leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
In a medium bowl, combine the kale with half the honey-mustard dressing (set aside the remaining dressing for finishing the salad). Season with salt and pepper and gently massage the leaves. Let stand while you prepare the rest of the meal.
Toast the pecans
Prep and cook the pork
- Strip the thyme leaves from the stems.
- Strip the rosemary leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves. Set aside half for the apples.
- Pat the pork dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
- On a shallow plate, spread the thyme and half the rosemary in an even layer. Lightly press the pork into the herbs, coating both sides.
While the pork cooks, prepare the shallots and apples.
Prep and cook the shallots and apples
- Peel the shallots and cut crosswise into ¼-inch-thick slices. Separate the slices into rings.
- Cut the apples into quarters and cut away the core. Cut the fruit into ¼-inch-thick slices.
Finish the salad
Calories: 640, Protein: 40g (80% DV), Fiber: 10g (40% DV), Total Fat: 36g (55% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 24g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g, Saturated Fat: 5g (25% DV), Cholesterol: 90mg (30% DV), Sodium: 210mg (9% DV), Carbohydrates: 41g (14% DV), Total Sugars: 24g, Added Sugars: (Honey): 3g (6% DV).
Contains: Tree Nuts
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt added to the recipe averages 240mg per serving, or 10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.