In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Herbed chicken thighs with “cheesy” broccoli and tomato-pesto relish
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Diabetes-Friendly, Carb-Conscious, No Added Sugar, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 470 Calories/Serving
You’ll never guess the secret to this hearty paleo dish. It’s our creamy “cheese” sauce, an ingenious blend of almond milk, cashew butter, garlic, and nutritional yeast.
In your bag
- ½ pound organic broccoli
- Sunbasket “cheese” sauce base (almond milk - cashew butter - granulated garlic - nutritional yeast - kosher salt - onion powder)
- 1 organic yellow onion
- Chicken options:
- 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- Sunbasket garlic-herb blend (granulated garlic - dried thyme - dried oregano)
- 1 organic Roma or other tomato
- Sunbasket basil pesto (extra virgin olive oil - walnuts - basil - garlic - kosher salt - black pepper)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
Nutrition per serving
Calories 470, Total Fat 30g (38% DV), Sat. Fat 5g (25% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 95mg (32% DV), Sodium 460mg (20% DV), Total Carb. 26g (9% DV), Fiber 6g (21% DV), Total Sugars 9g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 27g
Contains: Tree Nuts (almond, cashew, walnut)
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep and cook the broccoli; assemble the “cheese” sauce
Bring a medium sauce pot of generously salted water to a boil.
- Cut the broccoli into 1-inch florets; trim any coarse stems.
- In a small bowl, stir together the “cheese” sauce base and 2 tablespoons [¼ cup] hot water from the pot; set aside.
To the pot of boiling water, add the broccoli and cook until crisp-tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain, rinse under cold water, and shake off any remaining water. Finely chop and set aside. Do not clean the pot. While the water is heating and the broccoli is cooking, prepare the onion.
Prep the onion; make the “cheesy” broccoli
- Peel and finely chop enough onion to measure 1 cup [2 cups].
In the same pot used for the broccoli, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and starting to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the broccoli and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
Gently stir in the “cheese” sauce. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. While the “cheesy” broccoli is cooking, prepare the chicken.
Prep and cook the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season with salt and pepper and the garlic-herb blend.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until lightly browned and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side for thighs, 4 to 6 minutes per side for breasts. Transfer to a plate. Meanwhile, prepare the relish.
Make the tomato-pesto relish
- Cut away the core from the tomato; coarsely chop the tomato.
In a small bowl, stir together the tomato and basil pesto. Season to taste with salt and pepper and as much balsamic vinegar as you like and toss to coat.
Transfer the “cheesy” broccoli to individual plates. Top with the chicken, spoon on the tomato-pesto relish, and serve.
- Fill a sauce pot with water for the broccoli.
- Measure the onion.
- Time the chicken.
- Stir the tomato-pesto relish.
- Top the chicken with the relish.