Hoisin-glazed chicken with glass noodle and cucumber salad
Paleo, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free
30 – 40 Minutes
Bursting with the flavors of Vietnam, this main-course salad combines gluten-free noodles with chicken glazed with our paleo hoisin sauce.
- 5 ounces glass noodles
- 1 lime
- Sun Basket paleo hoisin base (pumpkin puree - prunes - coconut aminos - almond butter - molasses - sesame oil - coconut vinegar - granulated garlic - salt)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek (optional)
- 3 or 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 1 cucumber
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh mint
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
- ¼ pound shredded carrots
If the cooked noodles start to clump, rinse them again with cold water to separate them.
If you feel like firing up your backyard grill, go for it! Light a medium fire; cook the chicken directly over the heat, turning once, until charred and cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes per side.
Cook the glass noodles
While the water heats and the noodles cook, prepare the hoisin, dressing, and chicken.
Prep the hoisin and dressing
- Juice the lime. The juice will be divided between the hoisin and the dressing.
In another small bowl, stir together the fish sauce, remaining lime juice, 2 tablespoons water, and as much sambal oelek as you like. Set aside the dressing.
Prep and cook the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season lightly with salt and pepper and coat on both sides with the 2 tablespoons hoisin.
While the chicken cooks and cools, finish the glass noodle salad.
Assemble the glass noodle salad
- Peel the cucumber, if desired, and trim off the ends; cut the cucumber lengthwise into quarters, then crosswise into ¼-inch-thick pieces.
- Strip the mint leaves from the stems; tear any larger leaves, keeping smaller ones whole.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 44g (88% DV), Fiber: 8g (32% DV), Total Fat: 16g (25% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 4.5g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.5g, Saturated Fat: 2g (10% DV), Cholesterol: 115mg (38% DV), Sodium: 1780mg (74% DV), Carbohydrates: 64g (21% DV), Total Sugars: 11g, Added Sugars (Molasses): 1g (2% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Contains: Fish, tree nuts (coconut aminos and vinegar in the hoisin base).