In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Hominy fritters with shrimp and smashed cucumber salad
Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Carb-Conscious, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 480 Calories/Serving
This delectable meal will make you a Latin food lover—if you aren’t already. Made from hominy, melted cheese, and cornmeal, our crisp pan-fried fritters are finished with shrimp ceviche.
In your bag
- 1 organic cucumber
- Sunbasket honey-lime vinaigrette base (lime juice - onion - honey - Aleppo chile flakes)
- Shellfish options:
- 10 ounces wild Gulf shrimp
- 10 ounces wild tail-on jumbo shrimp
- 10 ounces wild sea scallops
- ½ cup hominy
- 1 organic egg
- ⅓ cup shredded cheese blend (mozzarella - provolone)
- Sunbasket cornmeal blend (cornmeal - all-purpose flour - baking soda)
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
Calories 480, Total Fat 31g (40% DV), Sat. Fat 6g (30% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 250mg (83% DV), Sodium 600mg (26% DV), Total Carb. 28g (10% DV), Fiber 5g (18% DV), Total Sugars 8g (Incl. 4g Added Sugars, 8% DV), Protein 26g
Contains: Milk, Eggs, Wheat
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Smash the cucumber
- Cut the cucumber lengthwise into quarters, then crosswise into ½-inch pieces.
In a resealable plastic bag, combine the cucumber, honey-lime vinaigrette base, and 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] oil and season with salt and pepper. Using the back of a wooden spoon or the bottom of a cup, lightly smash the cucumber. Let stand while you prepare the rest of the meal.
Prep and cook the shellfish
- Rinse and drain the shellfish. Pat dry on a paper-towel-lined plate. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] oil until hot but not smoking. Add the shellfish and cook, turning once, until firm and cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes per side for regular shrimp, 2 to 3 minutes per side for jumbo shrimp or scallops. Transfer to a cutting board. Wipe out the pan.
Prep the fritter batter
- Using the bottom of a bowl or cup, lightly crush the hominy on a cutting board.
Crack the egg into a medium bowl, season with salt and pepper, and beat with a fork until just blended. Add the hominy and cheese blend and stir to combine. Add the cornmeal blend and 2 tablespoons [¼ cup] water and stir until just combined.
Cook the fritters
In the same pan used for the shellfish, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Working in batches, spoon 1 heaping tablespoon batter into the pan for each fritter to form a total of 6  fritters. Cook, turning once, until golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and season lightly with salt. Cover with a clean kitchen towel to keep warm. Add more oil between batches if needed. While the fritters are cooking, finish the salad.
Prep the cilantro; assemble the salad
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
- Cut each shrimp into thirds (if using scallops, cut into fourths).
In a large bowl, toss together the shellfish, smashed cucumber and vinaigrette from the bag, cilantro, and 1 to 2 teaspoons oil and toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the fritters to individual plates, top with the shellfish and smashed cucumber salad, and serve.
- Smash the cucumber.
- Lightly crush the hominy.
- Time the fritters.
- Assemble the salad.