In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Honey-balsamic glazed chicken with warm cabbage–apple salad
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Diabetes-Friendly, Carb-Conscious, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 560 Calories/Serving
Pan-seared cabbage adds a delightful roasted note to crisp apple slices, while tzatziki dressing pulls the salad together for a cool contrast to honey-balsamic glazed chicken.
In your bag
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon red chile flakes (optional)
- 1 wedge organic Savoy or other cabbage (about 10 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1½ tablespoons honey
- Chicken options:
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 1 organic Fuji or other apple
- Sunbasket tzatziki dressing (paleo mayo - coconut milk - lemon juice - garlic - kosher salt - dried dill)
Calories 560, Total Fat 33g (42% DV), Sat. Fat 6g (30% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 95mg (32% DV), Sodium 320mg (14% DV), Total Carb. 41g (15% DV), Fiber 8g (29% DV), Total Sugars 30g (Incl. 13g Added Sugars, 26% DV), Protein 30g
Contains: Eggs, Tree Nuts (coconut)
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Toast the sesame and poppy seeds
In a dry large frying pan over medium heat, toast the sesame seeds and poppy seeds, stirring often, until lightly browned and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl, stir in as many chile flakes as you like, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Wipe out the pan.
Prep and cook the cabbage
- Cut the cabbage into 2  wedges, keeping the core intact.
In the same pan used for the seeds, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the cabbage, cut sides down, and cook, undisturbed, until the edges start to brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn to the other cut side and cook, undisturbed, until the edges are browned and the center is crisp-tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board to cool slightly and season all over with salt and pepper. While the cabbage is cooking, start preparing the chicken.
Prep and cook the chicken
- In a small bowl, stir together the balsamic vinegar and honey.
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
In another large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until lightly browned and almost cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side for thighs, 4 to 5 minutes per side for breasts.
Spoon the honey-balsamic glaze on the chicken, turning to coat all over, and continue to cook until the chicken is cooked through and the glaze starts to thicken, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate. While the chicken is cooking, finish the salad.
Assemble the warm cabbage–apple salad
- Cut away the core from the cabbage; coarsely chop the cabbage.
- Core and thinly slice the apple.
In a large bowl, toss together the cabbage, apple, and tzatziki dressing; season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the warm cabbage–apple salad and chicken to individual plates and spoon any remaining glaze from the pan over the chicken. Sprinkle the salad with as much chile-seed mixture as you like and serve.
- Stir the honey and balsamic vinegar.
- Time the cooking.
- Assemble the salad.