In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Huli huli chicken with pineapple and celery slaw
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 550 Calories/Serving
Meaning “turn, turn!” in Hawaiian, huli refers to how this chicken is prepared: marinated in tropical flavors and rotated in a hot pan for deep browning.
In your bag
- ¾ cup long-grain white rice
- 1 cup organic chopped pineapple
- Chicken options:
- 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- Sunbasket teriyaki glaze (honey - gluten-free tamari - rice vinegar - toasted sesame oil)
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 organic lime
- 2 organic celery ribs
- 1 organic red onion
Calories 550, Total Fat 11g (14% DV), Sat. Fat 2g (10% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 95mg (32% DV), Sodium 530mg (23% DV), Total Carb. 87g (32% DV), Fiber 5g (18% DV), Total Sugars 26g (Incl. 15g Added Sugars, 30% DV), Protein 27g
Contains: Soybeans, Sesame
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the rice
- Rinse the rice.
In a small sauce pot, combine the rice and 1¼ cups [2¼ cups] water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork, cover, and keep warm. Meanwhile, prepare the chicken.
Marinate the chicken
- Measure ¾ cup [1½ cups] pineapple and coarsely chop; set aside for the slaw. Finely chop enough of the remaining pineapple to measure ¼ cup [½ cup] for the marinade.
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel.
In a medium bowl, stir together the chicken, finely chopped pineapple, teriyaki glaze, and ketchup and season with salt and pepper. Let stand while you prepare the slaw.
Make the pineapple and celery slaw
- Zest the lime. Juice the lime into a medium bowl. [Zest and juice 1 lime; save the remaining lime for another use.]
- Thinly slice the celery.
- Peel and finely chop enough onion to measure ¼ cup [½ cup].
To the bowl with the lime juice, add the celery, onion, coarsely chopped pineapple, and ½ teaspoon [1 tsp] lime zest and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Cook the chicken
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Remove the chicken from the marinade, letting the excess drip back into the bowl. Add the chicken to the pan and cook, turning occasionally, until lightly browned and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side for thighs, 4 to 6 minutes per side for breasts.
Transfer the rice to individual bowls. Top with the huli huli chicken and pineapple and celery slaw and serve.
- Rinse the rice.
- Measure the pineapple and onion.
- Juice the lime.
- Assemble the slaw.
- Top the dish with the slaw.