Indian beef keema with parsnip, chard, and scallion yogurt

In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.

New

Indian beef keema with parsnip, chard, and scallion yogurt

Mediterranean, Soy-Free, Protein Plus, Family-Friendly, Gluten-Free

2 Servings, 720 Calories/Serving

25–40 Minutes

We marry traditional Indian spices with your choice of protein, hearty veggies, and tangy scallion yogurt. Warm and comforting, this curry dish is like a good Bollywood love story. 

Get delicious recipes with organic produce and clean ingredients delivered

View our meal plans

In your bag

1 bag serves 2 (2 bags serve 4)
Sunbasket is proud to source the organic ingredients indicated below. On the rare occasion we are unable to meet our organic promise, we'll put a note in your bag.
  • ½ cup quick-cooking long-grain brown rice
  • Your choice of protein
  • 1 organic parsnip
  • Sunbasket Indian simmer sauce base (tomatoes - coconut milk - onion - cashew butter - garam masala - garlic - ginger - turmeric - coriander)
  • Sunbasket keema spice blend (curry powder - turmeric - coriander - cumin - cinnamon - ground ginger)
  • 1 organic lime
  • 3 organic scallions
  • ¼ cup organic Greek yogurt
  • 3 ounces organic chopped chard

Nutrition per serving

Calories 720, Total Fat 35g (54% DV), Sat. Fat 13g (65% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 100mg (33% DV), Sodium 320mg (13% DV), Total Carb. 68g (23% DV), Fiber 9g (36% DV), Total Sugars 9g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 37g
Contains: Milk, Tree Nuts (cashew, coconut)

Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.

Instructions

2-serving instructions (4-serving modifications in red)

Wash produce before use

1

Cook the rice

In a small sauce pot, combine the rice and 1 cup [1¾ cups] water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, 25 to 30 minutes. Fluff with a fork, cover, and keep warm. Meanwhile, prepare the rest of the meal.

2

Prep your protein

  • Ground meat (including plant-based): Cut a small corner from the ground meat packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. 
  • Tofu: Pat the tofu dry with paper towels; crumble or cut into ¼-inch pieces. 

3

Start cooking the keema

  • Scrub or peel the parsnip and trim the ends; cut the parsnip into ½-inch pieces. 
  • Transfer 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] Indian simmer sauce base to a small bowl; set aside for the scallion yogurt.

In a medium [large] frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 2 to 3 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add your protein, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring and breaking up the ground meat if using, until the protein is lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the parsnip and keema spice blend, season with salt and pepper, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. 

Add the remaining Indian simmer sauce base and 1 cup [2 cups] water and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook until your protein is cooked through, the parsnip is tender, and the sauce has thickened, 8 to 10 minutes. While the keema is cooking, prepare the scallion yogurt. 

4

Prep the remaining ingredients; make the scallion yogurt

  • Zest and juice the lime, keeping the zest and juice separate (the juice will be divided between the yogurt and the keema). [Zest 1 lime and juice both limes.]
  • Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions, keeping the white and green parts separate. Set aside the white parts for finishing the keema. 

To the bowl with the reserved Indian simmer sauce base, stir in the yogurt, lime zest, half the lime juice, and green parts of the scallions. Season to taste with salt and pepper. 

5

Finish the keema

To the pan with the keema, stir in the chard and white parts of the scallions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the chard leaves are just wilted and the stems are just tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper and as much of the remaining lime juice as you like. 

Serve

Transfer the rice to individual plates and top with the keema. Spoon over as much scallion yogurt as you like and serve the remaining yogurt on the side. 

Kids Can!
  • Measure the water for the rice. 
  • Measure the Indian simmer sauce base. 
  • Juice the lime. 
  • Stir the scallion yogurt. 
  • Spoon the scallion yogurt over the keema.