Italian sausage ragu with gluten-free penne and peas
Gluten Free, Soy Free
25 – 35 Minutes
In this crowd-pleasing, gluten-free pasta, a collaboration between Tyler Florence and Chef Justine, mushrooms add earthiness to the hearty sauce.
- ¾ pound gluten-free penne
- Peeled fresh garlic
- 1 or 2 shallots
- 3 ounces cremini mushrooms
- 1 pound fresh loose mild Italian pork sausage
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 romaine heart
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ cup grated Pecorino Romano
- Sun Basket house dressing (olive oil - balsamic vinegar - Dijon mustard - fresh garlic)
- ¾ cup petite peas
- ½ teaspoon red chile flakes (optional)
Cook the penne
While the water heats and the penne cooks, make the sauce.
Prep the sauce ingredients
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Peel and finely chop enough shallots to measure ¼ cup.
- Thinly slice the mushrooms.
- Cut a small corner from the sausage packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
Cook the sauce
While the sauce cooks, prepare the salad.
Make the salad
- Trim the root end from the romaine heart.
- Coarsely tear the romaine leaves.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves. Set aside half for garnish.
- Measure out 2 tablespoons Pecorino Romano for the salad; set aside the rest for garnish.
Finish the pasta
Chef’s tip: To save an extra step, instead of draining the pasta and reserving some of the cooking water, use a slotted spoon to transfer the cooked pasta directly from the water into the sauce. There will be enough cooking water clinging to the penne to loosen the sauce.
- Press the garlic (if you have a press).
- Tear the romaine; toss the salad.
- Sprinkle the cheese and parsley.
- Set the table.
- Sing "'O Sole Mio".
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 900, Protein: 30g, Total Fat: 51g, Monounsaturated Fat: 26g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 16g, Cholesterol: 95mg, Carbohydrates: 74g, Fiber: 7g, Sugar: 5g, Added Sugars: 0g, Sodium: 1030mg