In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Italian sausage sandwiches with roasted red pepper salad and cornichons
Soy-Free, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 800 Calories/Serving
How do you make the classic combo of sausage and peppers taste even better? Serve them tucked into hearty sandwiches along with juicy tomatoes, crisp lettuce, and tangy cornichons.
In your bag
- Sausage options:
- 2 fresh mild Italian pork sausages (about ¼ pound each)
- 2 fresh chicken sausages with roasted peppers and garlic (about ¼ pound each)
- 1 organic red onion
- 5 ounces organic grape or cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup roasted red peppers
- 1 head organic Artisan romaine or other lettuce
- ¼ cup cornichons
- Sunbasket Italian dressing base (water - champagne vinegar - honey - Parmesan - parsley - garlic - red chile flakes - dried oregano)
- 2 ciabatta rolls
Calories 800, Total Fat 39g (50% DV), Sat. Fat 9g (45% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 60mg (20% DV), Sodium 1470mg (64% DV), Total Carb. 82g (30% DV), Fiber 7g (25% DV), Total Sugars 9g (Incl. 3g Added Sugars, 6% DV), Protein 30g
Contains: Milk, Wheat
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep and cook the sausages
- Pat the sausages dry with a paper towel; prick in a few places with a fork, if desired.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the sausages and cook, turning occasionally, until browned and cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board to rest for 5 minutes, then cut on the diagonal into ¼-inch-thick slices. Spoon off all but 2 teaspoons fat from the pan. While the sausages are cooking, prepare the roasted red pepper salad.
Make the salad; prep the cornichons
- Peel and thinly slice enough onion to measure ⅓ cup [½ cup].
- Cut the tomatoes in half.
- Coarsely chop the roasted red peppers.
- Trim the root end from the romaine; thinly slice the leaves.
- Cut the cornichons in half lengthwise; set aside for the sandwiches.
In a large bowl, stir together half the Italian dressing base and 2 tablespoons [¼ cup] oil; season to taste with salt (set aside the remaining dressing base for the sandwiches). Add the onion, tomatoes, roasted red peppers, and romaine and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Toast the ciabatta; assemble the sandwiches
- Cut the ciabatta in half horizontally.
In the same pan used for the sausages, warm the residual oil over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Place the ciabatta, cut sides down, and cook until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes.
Transfer the ciabatta, cut sides up, to a work surface and spread with the remaining dressing base. Arrange the sausages on the ciabatta bottoms and top with as much roasted red pepper salad and cornichons as you like. Close with the ciabatta tops.
Transfer the sandwiches to individual plates and serve any remaining salad and cornichons on the side.
- Time the sausages.
- Measure the onion.
- Stir the Italian dressing base and oil.
- Assemble the salad.
- Customize their sandwiches.