In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Italian sausages and broccoli with mushroom ragù
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Carb-Conscious, No Added Sugar, <600 Calories
2 Servings, 370 Calories/Serving
You can thank the Maillard reaction for transforming your basket into a plate of deliciousness: beautifully browned sausages and broccoli plus mushrooms amped up with rich, caramelized tomato flavor.
In your bag
- ½ pound organic broccoli
- Sausage options:
- 2 fresh mild Italian pork sausages (about ¼ pound each)
- 2 fresh chicken sausages with roasted peppers and garlic (about ¼ pound each)
- 1 organic yellow onion
- 2 ounces organic cremini or other button mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Sunbasket marinara (tomatoes - olive oil - garlic - basil - salt - spices)
- 1 teaspoon red chile flakes (optional)
- 2 ounces organic baby spinach or other leafy greens
- Sunbasket vegan “Parmesan” (nutritional yeast - almond meal)
Nutrition per serving
Calories 370, Total Fat 23g (29% DV), Sat. Fat 6g (30% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 55mg (18% DV), Sodium 800mg (35% DV), Total Carb. 21g (8% DV), Fiber 8g (29% DV), Total Sugars 9g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 24g
Contains: Tree Nuts (almond)
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep and cook the sausages and broccoli
- Cut the broccoli into 1-inch florets; trim any coarse stems.
- Pat the sausages dry with a paper towel; prick in a few places with a fork, if desired.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the sausages and cook, turning occasionally, until starting to brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the broccoli, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring the sausages and broccoli occasionally, until the sausages are cooked through and the broccoli is crisp-tender, 5 to 6 minutes.
Transfer the broccoli to a plate and the sausages to a cutting board to rest for 5 minutes, then cut the sausages on the diagonal into 1-inch-thick slices. Do not clean the pan. While the sausages and broccoli are cooking, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients
- Peel and thinly slice enough onion to measure ½ cup [1 cup].
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms; thinly slice the caps.
Cook the mushroom ragù; finish the dish
In the same pan used for the sausages and broccoli, if dry, add 1 to 2 teaspoons oil. Warm over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the onion and mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to soften, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Reduce the heat to medium and stir in the marinara, ¼ cup [½ cup] water, and as many chile flakes as you like. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce starts to thicken, 4 to 6 minutes. Working in batches if needed, stir in the spinach and cook until just wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the sausages and broccoli and cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the sausages, broccoli, and mushroom ragù to individual bowls. Garnish with as much vegan “Parmesan” as you like and serve any remaining “Parmesan” on the side.
- Measure the onion.
- Measure the water for the ragù.
- Time the cooking.
- Garnish with the vegan “Parmesan.”