In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Italian sausage and vegetables in marinara with soft-cooked eggs
Family-Friendly, Dairy-Free, Paleo, Soy-Free, Carb-Conscious, Gluten-Free
2 Servings, 500 Calories/Serving
A hearty dinner that comes together easily? You betcha. Mild Italian sausage and ready-made marinara bring maximum flavor, while meaty mushrooms and antioxidant-rich kale add that extra earthy something.
In your bag
- 2 organic eggs
- ½ pound fresh loose mild Italian pork sausage
- 1 organic yellow onion
- 1 organic carrot
- 3 ounces organic cremini or other button mushrooms
- 1 bunch organic lacinato or other kale (about 10 ounces)
- Sunbasket marinara (tomatoes - olive oil - garlic - basil - salt - spices)
Calories: 500, Protein: 27g (54% DV), Fiber: 9g (36% DV), Total Fat: 32g (49% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 10g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.5g, Saturated Fat: 7g (35% DV), Cholesterol: 200mg (67% DV), Sodium: 1100mg (46% DV), Carbohydrates: 31g (10% DV), Total Sugars: 14g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the eggs
Bring a small sauce pot of water to a boil and fill a small bowl with ice water. Carefully lower the eggs into the boiling water and cook for exactly 6 minutes for soft-cooked (for firmer yolks, cook 1 to 3 minutes longer). Transfer the eggs to the ice water to cool. Carefully peel the eggs. While the eggs are cooking, prepare the sausage.
Prep and cook the sausage
- Cut a small corner from the sausage packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the sausage and cook, stirring to break up the meat, until browned and cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sausage to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain. Do not clean the pan. Meanwhile, prepare the vegetables.
Prep the vegetables
- Peel and coarsely chop enough onion to measure 1 cup [2 cups].
- Scrub or peel the carrot and trim the ends; cut the carrot in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ½-inch-thick half-moons.
- Cut the mushrooms into quarters.
- Strip the kale leaves from the stems; thinly slice the leaves crosswise.
Cook the vegetables; finish the dish
In the same pan used for the sausage, if dry, add 1 to 2 teaspoons oil. Warm over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the carrot and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes.
Stir in the marinara, sausage, and kale (the kale in batches if needed), then reduce the heat to low. Cook until the marinara and sausage are heated through and the kale is just wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Finish the eggs
- Cut the eggs in half lengthwise.
Transfer the sausage, vegetables, and marinara to individual bowls, top with the eggs, and serve.
- Peel the eggs.
- Measure the onion.
- Scrub the carrot.
- Strip the kale leaves.
- Top the dish with the eggs.