Italian sausages with mango–poppy seed insalata and red pepper vinaigrette

In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.

20-Minute Meal

Italian sausages with mango–poppy seed insalata and red pepper vinaigrette

Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Gluten-Free, Family-Friendly, Paleo

2 Servings, 700 Calories/Serving

20 Minutes

Mango and poppy seeds are an unexpected pairing that really sing when combined in a salad with our red pepper vinaigrette. Juicy sausages finish off this easy, summery paleo supper.

Get delicious recipes with organic produce and clean ingredients delivered

View our meal plans

In your bag

1 bag serves 2 (2 bags serve 4)
Sun Basket is proud to source the organic ingredients indicated below. On the rare occasion we are unable to meet our organic promise, we'll put a note in your bag.
  • 2 fresh mild Italian pork sausages (about ¼ pound each; contain pork and spices)
  • 1 organic mango
  • 1 organic red bell pepper
  • 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • 2 ounces organic shredded carrots
  • 2 ounces organic shredded green or other cabbage
  • 2 ounces organic mixed greens or other leafy greens
  • 1½ teaspoons poppy seeds
  • Sun Basket red pepper vinaigrette (roasted red peppers - EVOO - red wine vinegar - Dijon mustard - kosher salt)

Nutrition per serving

Calories: 700, Protein: 23g (46% DV), Fiber: 8g (32% DV), Total Fat: 51g (78% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 20g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g, Saturated Fat: 11g (55% DV), Cholesterol: 70mg (23% DV), Sodium: 1420mg (59% DV), Carbohydrates: 40g (13% DV), Total Sugars: 31g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).

Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.

Instructions

2-serving instructions (4-serving modifications in red)

Wash produce before use

1

Cook the sausages

  • Pat the sausages dry with a paper towel; prick in a few places with a fork.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] oil until hot but not smoking. Add the sausages and cook, turning once, until browned and cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board to rest for 5 minutes, then cut on the diagonal into ¼-inch-thick slices.
While the sausages cook and rest, prepare the salad.

2

Prep the salad ingredients

  • Trim the ends from the mango; cut away the peel, then cut the flesh away from the pit into halves. Thinly slice the halves crosswise.
  • Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; cut the pepper into ¼-inch-wide strips.
  • Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves. Divide into two equal portions, one for the salad and one for garnish.

3

Toss the salad

In a large bowl, toss together the mango, bell pepper, carrots, cabbage, mixed greens, poppy seeds, half the parsley, and half the red pepper vinaigrette (set aside the remaining vinaigrette for serving). Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Serve

Transfer the sausages and salad to individual plates and garnish with the remaining parsley. Serve the remaining vinaigrette on the side.
Kids Can!
  • Strip the parsley leaves.
  • Toss the salad.
  • Garnish with the parsley.