Roasted Italian sausages, bell pepper, and broccoli with parsnip mash
Paleo, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free
25 - 35 Minutes
In this clever healthy twist on the Italian-American classic of sausages with bell peppers, instead of pan-frying them, we roast them along with slender broccoli florets for a boost of antioxidants and flavor. Then we dress the warm mixture right out of the oven with sherry vinegar and Urfa biber, a mild Turkish pepper, to take them over the top.
- ½ pound broccoli crowns
- 1 red bell pepper
- Two 4-ounce fresh mild Italian pork sausages
- 1 pound parsnips
- 1 or 2 shallots
- Fresh thyme
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Urfa biber (optional)
Roast the sausages, broccoli, and bell pepper
- Cut the broccoli into long florets.
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the red bell pepper; cut the pepper into 1-inch-wide strips.
While the sausages and vegetables roast, prepare the parsnip mash.
Cook the parsnip mash
- Scrub or peel the parsnips and trim off the tops; cut the parsnips crosswise into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Peel and thinly slice the shallots.
- Strip the thyme leaves from the stems.
While the parsnips cook, finish the sausages and vegetables.
Dress the sausages and vegetables
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
Chef’s Tip If you prefer a smooth puree to a coarse mash and don’t mind the extra cleanup, in Step 2, puree the parsnip mixture in a blender or food processor.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 750, Protein: 23g, Total Fat: 51g, Monounsaturated Fat: 28g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 15g, Cholesterol: 85mg, Carbohydrates: 52mg, Fiber: 12g, Sugar: 16g, Added Sugars: 0g, Sodium: 1330mg