In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Italian sausages with sweet peppers and baby kale
Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Soy-Free
2 Servings, 450 Calories/Serving
In this healthy twist on the classic Italian dish of sausage with bell peppers, sweet potatoes and kale add an extra boost of flavor and antioxidants.
In your bag
- Two 4-ounce fresh mild Italian pork sausages
- 1 red onion
- Peeled fresh garlic
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 3 ounces sweet frying peppers
- Fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- ¼ pound baby kale
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 1 ounce roasted almonds
Protein: 28g (56% DV), Fiber: 10g (40% DV), Total Fat: 20g (31% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 11g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.5g, Saturated Fat: 5g (25% DV), Cholesterol: 35mg (12% DV), Sodium: 920mg (38% DV), Carbohydrates: 43g (14% DV), Total Sugars: 11g, Added Sugars (sausages contain trace amounts of turbinado sugar): 0g (0% DV).
Contains: Tree Nuts
Wash produce before use
Cook the sausages
- Pat the sausages dry with a paper towel; prick in a few places with a fork.
While the sausages cook and rest, prepare the vegetables.
Prep the vegetables
- Peel and thinly slice the red onion.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Scrub or peel the sweet potato. Trim the ends and cut the potato in half lengthwise, then cut each half into ½-inch cubes.
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the yellow bell pepper; thinly slice the pepper lengthwise.
- Remove the stems and seeds from the sweet frying peppers; thinly slice the peppers crosswise.
- Strip the thyme leaves from the stems.
Cook the vegetables and finish the dish
Stir in the sausages and ½ cup water, season with salt and pepper, and cook until the liquid is slightly reduced and the sausages are warmed through, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in the kale and sherry vinegar, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
While the vegetables cook, prepare the almonds.
Chop the almonds
- Coarsely chop the almonds.
Ingredient IQ: Sweet frying peppers are a delicious treat in summer. Unlike thicker-skinned bell peppers, frying peppers have delicate skins that turn soft and almost creamy when quick-cooked.