Italian sausages with warm cauliflower-frisée salad and artichoke romesco
Paleo, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free
25 – 35 Minutes
We give classic Spanish romesco an Italian twist with artichokes and Italian sausage to make a hearty paleo and gluten-free meal.
- 2 fresh mild Italian pork sausages (about ¼ pound each) (contain pork and spices)
- 3 ounces button mushrooms
- 1 red bell pepper
- ½ head frisée
- Sun Basket artichoke romesco (artichoke hearts - roasted almonds - olive oil - sherry vinegar - arugula - fresh garlic - sweet smoked paprika)
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ teaspoon red chile flakes (optional)
- 10 ounces cauliflower “rice”
- 2 ounces baby kale
A sauce from Catalan Spain, romesco is traditionally an earthy blend of roasted peppers, almonds, garlic, smoked paprika, and sherry vinegar. It’s an ideal match for cooked meats and vegetables. Chef Justine uses artichokes in place of the peppers for extra heft and adds arugula for pepperiness.
Prep and cook the sausages and mushrooms
- Pat the sausages dry with a paper towel; prick in a few places with a fork.
- Cut the mushrooms in half lengthwise; cut any large halves into quarters.
While the sausages and mushrooms cook, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; coarsely chop the pepper.
- Trim the root end from the frisée; coarsely chop the frisée.
- Measure out 1 tablespoon artichoke romesco; set aside the rest for garnish.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves. Divide into two equal portions, one for the cauliflower “rice” salad and one for garnish.
Cook the cauliflower-frisée salad
Protein: 19g (38% DV), Fiber: 12g (48% DV), Total Fat: 47g (72% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 17g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3.5g, Saturated Fat: 11g (55% DV), Cholesterol: 70mg (23% DV), Sodium: 1230mg (51% DV), Carbohydrates: 25g (8% DV), Total Sugars: 8g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Contains: Tree Nuts