In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Jamaican fish soup with sweet potato, coconut milk, and pumpkin puree
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Pescatarian, Carb-Conscious, No Added Sugar, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 440 Calories/Serving
Some swear by chicken soup. We swear by rundown soup, a hearty Jamaican favorite that truly soothes the soul. Each “runny” spoonful brims with tender fish and vegetables, plus creamy coconut milk and sweet pumpkin puree.
In your bag
- 1 organic sweet potato
- 1 organic yellow onion
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh curly-leaf parsley
- Fish options:
- 10 ounces wild skinless pollock pieces
- 2 wild Alaskan skinless halibut fillets (about 6 ounces each)
- 2 sustainably raised skin-on barramundi fillets (about 6 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Sunbasket Jamaican seasoning (onion powder - granulated garlic - coriander - cumin - sweet smoked paprika - dried oregano)
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon Aleppo chile flakes (optional)
Calories 440, Total Fat 22g (28% DV), Sat. Fat 11g (55% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 90mg (30% DV), Sodium 300mg (13% DV), Total Carb. 36g (13% DV), Fiber 6g (21% DV), Total Sugars 11g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 28g
Contains: Tree Nuts (coconut)
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep the ingredients
- Scrub or peel the sweet potato. Cut the potato in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ¼-inch-thick half-moons.
- Peel and coarsely chop enough onion to measure 1 cup [2 cups].
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves for garnish.
- Pat the fish dry with a paper towel (if using barramundi, discard the skin). Cut the halibut or barramundi into 1-inch pieces. Season the fish with salt and pepper.
Cook the soup
In a large sauce pot over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the sweet potato and onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to soften, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and Jamaican seasoning and cook until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
Stir in the coconut milk, pumpkin puree, and ¾ cup [1½ cups] water, then nestle the fish in the liquid. Cover and cook until the vegetables are tender and the fish is opaque and cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, add as much Aleppo chile as you like, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the soup into individual bowls, garnish with the parsley, and serve.
- Scrub the sweet potato.
- Measure the onion.
- Strip the parsley leaves.
- Measure the water for the soup.
- Garnish with the parsley.