In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Jamaican steak sliders with roasted red peppers and orange-chipotle slaw
<600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 540 Calories/Serving
Liven up steak night with a taste of the tropics. Inspired by Jamaican pepper steak, we pair roasted red peppers with juicy steak strips marinated in a savory blend of tamari, garlic, ginger, and thyme.
In your bag
- 10 ounces top sirloin steak strips
- Your choice of protein
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- Sunbasket tamari marinade (gluten-free tamari - coconut aminos - garlic - ginger)
- 1 wedge organic green or other cabbage (about 7 ounces)
- 1 organic orange
- 1 ounce organic shredded carrots
- Sunbasket chipotle-mustard vinaigrette (extra virgin olive oil - Dijon mustard - onion - apple cider vinegar - tomato paste - kosher salt - chipotle chile powder)
- 4 slider buns
- 2 ounces roasted red peppers
Calories 540, Total Fat 26g (33% DV), Sat. Fat 4.5g (23% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 80mg (27% DV), Sodium 1310mg (57% DV), Total Carb. 49g (18% DV), Fiber 6g (21% DV), Total Sugars 12g (Incl. 1g Added Sugars, 2% DV), Protein 32g
Contains: Milk, Eggs, Wheat, Soybeans
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Marinate your protein
- Steak, chicken, or pork strips: Cut a small corner from the packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer the meat to a cutting board; pat dry with a paper towel. Cut into bite-size pieces.
- Tofu: Pat the tofu dry with paper towels; cut into bite-size pieces.
- Plant-based chicken: Pat the plant-based chicken dry with a paper towel; cut into bite-size pieces.
In a medium bowl, combine your protein, dried thyme, and tamari marinade and toss to coat. Let marinate while you prepare the slaw and toast the buns.
Make the orange-chipotle slaw
- Cut away any core from the cabbage; coarsely chop the cabbage.
- Using your hands or a sharp knife, peel the orange; coarsely chop the fruit. Discard any seeds.
In a large bowl, toss together the cabbage, orange, carrots, and 3 tablespoons [6 TBL] chipotle-mustard vinaigrette; season to taste with salt and pepper and more vinaigrette, if desired. Refrigerate while you prepare the rest of the meal.
Toast the buns
In a large frying pan, place the buns, cut sides down, and cook over medium-high heat until lightly toasted, 1 to 2 minutes. Alternatively, toast them in a toaster oven. Transfer to a plate. Wipe out the pan.
Cook your protein
In the same pan used for the buns, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add your protein and marinade and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes for steak, pork, tofu, or plant-based chicken and 6 to 8 minutes for chicken. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. While your protein is cooking, prepare the roasted red peppers.
Prep the roasted red peppers; assemble the sliders
- Using a fork, coarsely mash the roasted red peppers. Alternatively, finely chop them.
In a small bowl, stir together the roasted red peppers and 1 to 2 teaspoon oil; season to taste with salt and pepper.
Place the bun bottoms, cut sides up, on a work surface and top each with the roasted red peppers and your protein. Close with the bun tops.
Transfer the sliders and orange-chipotle slaw to individual plates and serve.
- Peel the orange by hand.
- Assemble the slaw.
- Time the cooking.
- Stir the roasted red peppers with oil and season.
- Help assemble the sliders.