In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Italian sausage and kale soup with butternut squash and black garlic
Soy-Free, Gluten-Free, Paleo, Dairy-Free
2 Servings, 660 Calories/Serving
Nothing like its fresh counterpart, black garlic delivers an umami hit to this paleo main-course soup, which tastes as good rewarmed the next day as it does right off the stovetop.
In your bag
- ½ pound fresh loose mild Italian pork sausage (contains pork and spices)
- 1 red onion
- 1 or 2 celery ribs (about ¼ pound total)
- 1 or 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 or 2 cloves unpeeled black garlic
- 15 ounces chopped peeled butternut squash
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 7 ounces chopped kale
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
Calories: 660, Protein: 26g (52% DV), Fiber: 10g (40% DV), Total Fat: 44g (68% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 15g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g, Saturated Fat: 10g (50% DV), Cholesterol: 70mg (23% DV), Sodium: 1210mg (50% DV), Carbohydrates: 49g (16% DV), Total Sugars: 12g, Added Sugar: 0g (0% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Brown the sausage
- Cut a small corner from the sausage packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
While the sausage cooks, start preparing the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining soup ingredients
- Peel and coarsely chop the red onion.
- Trim the ends from the celery; cut the celery on the diagonal into ½-inch lengths.
- Strip the thyme leaves from the stems.
- Trim the root ends from the black garlic cloves and remove the peel; using the side of a knife, smash the garlic.
Cook the soup
Add the sausage and any accumulated juices, vegetable broth, and 2 cups water and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and the sausage is cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the kale and black garlic, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the kale is just wilted, 2 to 3 minutes.
When the soup is almost done, chop the parsley.
Prep the parsley; finish the soup
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.