In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Italian sausage and kale soup with butternut squash and black garlic
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 660 Calories/Serving
Nothing like its fresh counterpart, black garlic delivers an umami hit to this paleo main-course soup, which tastes as good rewarmed the next day as it does right off the stovetop.
In your bag
- ½ pound fresh loose mild Italian pork sausage (contains pork and spices)
- 1 red onion
- 1 or 2 celery ribs (about ¼ pound total)
- 1 or 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 or 2 cloves unpeeled black garlic
- 15 ounces chopped peeled butternut squash
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 7 ounces chopped kale
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
Nutrition per serving
Calories 660, Total Fat 44g (56% DV), Sat. Fat 10g (50% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 70mg (23% DV), Sodium 1210mg (53% DV), Total Carb. 49g (18% DV), Fiber 10g (36% DV), Total Sugars 12g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 26g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Brown the sausage
- Cut a small corner from the sausage packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
While the sausage cooks, start preparing the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining soup ingredients
- Peel and coarsely chop the red onion.
- Trim the ends from the celery; cut the celery on the diagonal into ½-inch lengths.
- Strip the thyme leaves from the stems.
- Trim the root ends from the black garlic cloves and remove the peel; using the side of a knife, smash the garlic.
Cook the soup
Add the sausage and any accumulated juices, vegetable broth, and 2 cups water and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and the sausage is cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the kale and black garlic, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the kale is just wilted, 2 to 3 minutes.
When the soup is almost done, chop the parsley.
Prep the parsley; finish the soup
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.