Sausage, kale, and butternut squash soup with black garlic
Paleo, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free, Low Calorie
35 – 45 Minutes
Black garlic bears little resemblance to its fresh equivalent: To make it, the cloves are held at about 140°F for weeks at a time, until they turn their extraordinary color. Loaded with umami and antioxidants, they taste like savory candy. In this soup, they act like a bouillon cube, subtly seasoning the broth to give it delicious depth.
- ½ pound loose mild Italian pork sausage
- 1 red onion
- 1 to 2 celery ribs
- Black garlic cloves
- Fresh thyme
- ¾ pound peeled chopped butternut squash
- 1 bunch kale
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
Prep the sausage, onion, and celery
- Drain the sausage on a paper-towel-lined plate.
- Peel and coarsely chop the red onion.
- Trim the ends from the celery; cut the ribs on the diagonal into ½-inch lengths.
Cook the sausage
While the sausage cooks, prepare the black garlic and thyme.
Prep the black garlic and thyme
- Trim the root ends from the black garlic cloves and remove the peel; using the side of a knife, smash the garlic.
- Strip the thyme leaves from their stems.
Start the soup
Meanwhile, prep the kale and parsley.
Prep the kale and parsley; finish the soup
- Strip the kale leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Strip the parsley leaves from their stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
Remove the soup from the heat and stir in the parsley and vinegar.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 550, Protein: 18 g, Total Fat: 38 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 23.5 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4.5 g, Saturated Fat: 9 g, Cholesterol: 35 mg, Carbohydrates: 39 g, Fiber: 9 g, Added Sugar: 0 g, Sodium: 1080 mg