In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Kale taco salad with ground beef, potatoes, and honey-lime vinaigrette
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Carb-Conscious, Spicy, <600 Calories
2 Servings, 460 Calories/Serving
Hey, it’s not so hard to eat your veggies when they come in taco salad form. This one’s loaded with leafy kale, juicy tomatoes, and sautéed onions, all tossed with your choice of protein and our smoky chili spice blend.
In your bag
- 1 organic red onion
- ¼ pound organic gold or red new potatoes
- Your choice of protein
- Sunbasket smoky chili spice blend (chili powder - coriander - cumin - sweet smoked paprika - granulated garlic)
- 3 ounces organic grape or cherry tomatoes
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- Sunbasket honey-lime vinaigrette base (lime juice - onion - honey - Aleppo chile flakes)
- 3 ounces organic shredded kale
- 2 ounces organic shredded carrots
Calories 460, Total Fat 27g (35% DV), Sat. Fat 7g (35% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 65mg (22% DV), Sodium 240mg (10% DV), Total Carb. 33g (12% DV), Fiber 6g (21% DV), Total Sugars 12g (Incl. 4g Added Sugars, 8% DV), Protein 24g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.
Wash produce before use
Prep the onion and potatoes
- Peel and coarsely chop ½ onion for cooking; thinly slice the remaining half for the salad. [Peel and coarsely chop 1 onion; thinly slice the remaining onion.]
- Scrub the potatoes; cut the potatoes into ½-inch pieces.
Prep your protein
- Ground meat (including plant based): Cut a small corner from the ground meat packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Season with salt and pepper.
- Tofu: Pat the tofu dry with paper towels; cut into ½-inch pieces. Season with salt and pepper.
Cook the onion, potatoes, and your protein
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 2 to 3 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the chopped onion and potatoes, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, 5 to 7 minutes. Add your protein and cook, stirring and breaking up the ground meat if using, until the protein is lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes.
Add the smoky chili spice blend and 2 tablespoons [¼ cup] water and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion and potatoes are tender and your protein is cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. While the onion, potatoes, and your protein are cooking, prepare the salad.
Prep the remaining ingredients; assemble the salad
- Cut the tomatoes in half; set aside for serving.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
In a small bowl, stir together the honey-lime vinaigrette base and 1 to 2 tablespoons oil; season to taste with salt and pepper.
In a large bowl, toss together the kale and half the vinaigrette (set aside the remaining vinaigrette for serving). Add the carrots, cilantro, and sliced onion and toss to combine; season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the salad to individual bowls and top with your protein mixture and tomatoes. Spoon over the remaining vinaigrette and serve.
- Scrub the potatoes.
- Measure the water for the onion, potatoes, and protein.
- Time the cooking.
- Measure the oil for the vinaigrette.
- Top the salad with the tomatoes.