In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Kimchi and edamame pancakes with green mango–bok choy salad
Dairy-Free, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Vegan, Spicy, <600 Calories
2 Servings, 590 Calories/Serving
Hold the syrup. With buttery edamame and mildly spicy kimchi in every bite, these crisp Korean-style pancakes are a savory dream come true.
In your bag
- 1 cup shelled edamame
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 3 organic scallions
- 2 ounces Mother-in-Law’s vegan kimchi
- Sunbasket Asian savory pancake blend (rice flour - all-purpose flour - cornstarch - brown sugar - onion powder - granulated garlic)
- 1 or 2 heads organic baby bok choy (about ½ pound total)
- 1 organic green mango
- 1 organic lemon
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- Sunbasket Asian dipping sauce base (gluten-free tamari - rice vinegar - toasted sesame oil)
Calories 590, Total Fat 26g (33% DV), Sat. Fat 2.5g (13% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 0mg (0% DV), Sodium 540mg (23% DV), Total Carb. 72g (26% DV), Fiber 11g (39% DV), Total Sugars 23g (Incl. 2g Added Sugars, 4% DV), Protein 21g
Contains: Wheat, Soybeans
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep the edamame and the flax “egg”
- Rinse the edamame under warm water.
In a small bowl, stir together the flaxseed meal and 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] water. Let the flax “egg” stand while you prepare the scallions.
Prep and cook the scallions
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; cut the scallions crosswise into 2-inch pieces. Coarsely chop enough green parts to measure 1 tablespoon [2 TBL]; set aside for the dipping sauce.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 2 to 3 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the 2-inch scallion pieces and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Using tongs or a slotted spoon, transfer the scallions to a paper-towel-lined plate; set aside for the salad. Do not clean the pan. While the scallions are cooking, prepare the pancake batter.
Make the pancake batter; cook the pancakes
- Coarsely chop the kimchi.
In a large bowl, stir together the Asian savory pancake blend, flax “egg,” and ¾ cup [1½ cups] cold water. Add the edamame and kimchi and stir until blended. Season with salt and pepper.
In the same pan used for the scallions, warm the reserved oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Working in batches if needed, pour in the batter to form 4- to 5-inch-wide pancakes. Cook, turning once, until crisp and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Add more oil between batches if needed. While the pancakes are cooking, prepare the salad and the dipping sauce.
Make the green mango–bok choy salad
- Trim the root ends from the bok choy; thinly slice the bok choy crosswise.
- Trim the ends from the mango; cut away the peel. Cut the mango into matchsticks. Alternatively, using the large holes of a box grater, coarsely grate the flesh, working around the pit.
- Juice the lemon. [Juice 1 lemon; save the remaining lemon for another use.]
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
In a large bowl, toss together the bok choy, mango, cilantro, scallion pieces, 2 teaspoons [4 tsp] lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon [2 tsp] oil; season to taste with salt and pepper.
Finish the dipping sauce
In a small bowl, stir together the Asian dipping sauce base and green parts of the scallions.
Transfer the pancakes and salad to individual plates and serve the dipping sauce on the side.
- Rinse the edamame.
- Stir the flaxseed meal and water.
- Juice the lemon.
- Assemble the salad.
- Stir the dipping sauce.