Korean beef skewers with bok choy–plum slaw
Paleo-Friendly, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free
30 – 40 Minutes
Try these Korean-inspired, kid-friendly beef skewers to get a tasty, gluten-free dinner on the table quickly. Go Paleo by skipping the rice.
- 1 cup jasmine rice*
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger
- 6 scallions
- ⅓ cup almond meal
- 2 teaspoons sambal oelek (optional)
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 2 limes
- 2 or 3 heads baby bok choy
- 1 red onion
- 2 plums
- Slaw dressing base (toasted sesame oil - almond butter - apple cider vinegar - coconut aminos)
- Wooden skewers
- *Not paleo; omit for a paleo-strict version.
For the tenderest results, handle the ground beef as little as possible: Mix the meat and aromatics only until just combined before threading the mixture onto the skewers. Overworking ground beef can make it dense, even rubbery.
Cook the rice
- In a fine-mesh strainer, rinse the rice.
While the rice cooks, prepare the beef mixture.
Prep the beef mixture
- Cut a small corner from the beef packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
- Grate or peel and finely chop enough ginger to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions. Finely chop the white parts; thinly slice the green parts on the diagonal and set aside for the bok choy–plum slaw.
Toast the sesame seeds
Make the bok choy–plum slaw
- Juice 1 lime.
- Cut the remaining lime into wedges for garnish.
- Trim the root ends from the bok choy; cut the bok choy in half lengthwise, then thinly slice crosswise.
- Peel and thinly slice enough red onion to measure 1 cup.
- Cut the plums in half and remove the pits; thinly slice the fruit.
In a medium bowl, combine the bok choy, onion, plums, and green parts of the scallions. Add the sesame seeds and half the dressing and toss to combine (set aside the remaining dressing for serving). Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Cook the beef skewers
- Using wet hands, shape the beef mixture into 12 oval patties each about ½ inch thick. Thread each onto a wooden skewer.
- Rinse the rice.
- Juice 1 lime.
- Stir together the slaw dressing.
- Toss the slaw.
- Serve the meal.
Protein: 30g (60% DV), Fiber: 6g (24% DV), Total Fat: 38g (58% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 17g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 7g, Saturated Fat: 7g (35% DV), Cholesterol: 70mg (23% DV), Sodium: 460mg (19% DV), Carbohydrates: 64g (21% DV), Total Sugars: 9g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Contains: tree nuts.
Paleo-strict nutrition per serving: Calories: 530, Nutrition per serving: Protein: 27g (54% DV), Fiber: 6g (24% DV), Total Fat: 40g (62% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 17g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 7g, Saturated Fat: 8g (40% DV), Cholesterol: 70mg (23% DV), Sodium: 460mg (19% DV), Carbohydrates: 20g (7% DV), Total Sugars: 9g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.