In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Ginger-scallion beef skewers with apple-cabbage slaw
Soy-Free, Dairy-Free, Mediterranean, Gluten-Free, Carb-Conscious, Family-Friendly, Lean & Clean, Paleo
2 Servings, 480 Calories/Serving
For a fun hands-on dinner, season your choice of ground meat with an aromatic combo of fresh ginger and scallions, then serve the skewers with a naturally sweet slaw.
In your bag
- 1-inch piece organic fresh ginger
- 3 organic scallions
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek (optional)
- 2 organic Gala or other apples
- ¼ pound organic shredded red or other cabbage
- 1½ teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- Sun Basket Asian slaw dressing (almond butter - coconut aminos - toasted sesame oil - apple cider vinegar)
- Wooden skewers
Calories: 480, Protein: 22g (44% DV), Fiber: 7g (28% DV), Total Fat: 29g (45% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 8g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4.5g, Saturated Fat: 7g (35% DV), Cholesterol: 65mg (22% DV), Sodium: 180mg (8% DV), Carbohydrates: 35g (12% DV), Total Sugars: 23g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Contains: Tree Nuts (almond)
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep the meat mixture
- Grate or peel and finely chop enough ginger to measure 1 teaspoon [2 tsp].
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; finely chop the white parts and thinly slice the green parts on the diagonal, keeping them separate. Set aside the green parts for the slaw.
- Cut a small corner from the ground meat packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
In a large bowl, combine the meat, ginger, white parts of the scallions, and as much sambal oelek as you like. Season generously with salt and pepper and mix gently until just combined. Refrigerate the meat mixture while you prepare the slaw.
Make the apple-cabbage slaw
- Core and thinly slice the apples.
In a large bowl, toss together the apples, cabbage, sesame seeds, green parts of the scallions, and half the slaw dressing (set aside the remaining dressing for serving). Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Shape the patties; cook the skewers
- Using wet hands, form the meat mixture into 6  ovals; thread each onto a wooden skewer.
In a large frying pan over medium heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Working in batches if needed, add the skewers and cook, turning once, until browned and cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Add more oil between batches if needed.
Transfer the skewers and apple-cabbage slaw to individual plates. Serve the remaining dressing as a dipping sauce on the side.
- Measure the ginger.
- Separate the white and green parts of the scallions.
- Assemble the slaw.
- Count the wooden skewers.
- Time the skewers.