In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Korean rice bowls with sticky-sweet BBQ chicken skewers and kimchi
Dairy-Free, Spicy, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 630 Calories/Serving
With glazed chicken skewers, avocado, kimchi, and pickled cucumber, these colorful rice bowls are what Korean comfort food is all about.
In your bag
- ½ cup short-grain white rice
- 1 organic cucumber
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- Chicken options:
- 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Sunbasket tamari-sesame dressing base (gluten-free tamari - toasted sesame oil - garlic - ginger)
- 1 tablespoon gochujang (optional)
- 1 organic avocado
- 3 ounces Mother-in-Law’s kimchi
- Wooden skewers
Nutrition per serving
Calories 630, Total Fat 28g (36% DV), Sat. Fat 4g (20% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 95mg (32% DV), Sodium 660mg (29% DV), Total Carb. 69g (25% DV), Fiber 11g (39% DV), Total Sugars 11g (Incl. 5g Added Sugars, 10% DV), Protein 28g
Contains: Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the rice
- Rinse the rice.
In a small sauce pot, combine the rice and 1 cup [1½ cups] water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork, cover, and keep warm. Meanwhile, prepare the rest of the meal.
Make the quick-pickled cucumber
- Peel the cucumber, if desired; thinly slice the cucumber crosswise.
In a medium bowl, combine the cucumber, rice vinegar, 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] water, and up to 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] sugar (from your pantry), if using. Season with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Let stand, stirring occasionally, while you prepare the rest of the meal.
Prep the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; cut the chicken into 1-inch pieces. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
In a medium bowl, stir together the honey, tamari-sesame dressing base, and as much gochujang as you like. Set aside half the dressing for serving. Add the chicken to the bowl with the remaining dressing and stir to coat.
Prep the remaining garnishes; cook the chicken
- Cut the avocado in half lengthwise. Remove the pit, scoop out the flesh, and cut the flesh into ½-inch pieces.
- Coarsely chop the kimchi.
- Using 6  skewers, thread the chicken onto the skewers.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Working in batches if needed, add the chicken skewers and cook, turning occasionally, until lightly browned and cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add more oil between batches if needed.
Transfer the rice to individual bowls and top with the chicken skewers. Using a slotted spoon, remove the pickled cucumber from the brine. Top the bowls with the cucumber, avocado, and kimchi and serve the remaining dressing on the side.
- Rinse the rice.
- Measure the water for the rice.
- Stir the pickled cucumber.
- Scoop out the avocado.
- Top the bowls with the cucumber and avocado.