Korean tteokbokki rice cakes with ground pork and shiitake mushrooms
20 – 30 Minutes
Don’t worry if you can’t pronounce “tteokbokki”—the incredible flavor of this easy dish, built around the gluten-free Korean rice cakes, knows no borders.
- 1 ounce dried shiitake mushrooms
- 10 ounces Korean rice cakes
- 5 ounces ground pork
- 6 scallions
- 1 wedge Savoy cabbage (about ½ pound)
- Sun Basket vegan “oyster sauce” (gluten-free tamari - coconut aminos - canola oil - red miso - prunes - fresh garlic - molasses - fresh ginger - porcini powder)
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon gochujang (optional) (contains wheat and soy)
- ½ teaspoon kimchi chile flakes (optional)
We suggest using the reserved rice cake cooking liquid to create the sauce, but feel free to use the mushroom soaking liquid instead, or in a combination, for more umami flavor. Just remember to stop pouring out the mushroom soaking liquid when you reach any grit that may have settled at the bottom of the bowl.
Prep the mushrooms
While the mushrooms soak, prepare the rice cakes.
Cook the rice cakes
While the rice cakes cook, start preparing the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients; brown the pork
- Cut a small corner from the pork packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; cut 4 scallions into 2-inch lengths. Thinly slice the remaining 2 scallions for garnish.
- Cut away any core from the cabbage; thinly slice the cabbage.
Finish the tteokbokki
Stir in the “oyster sauce,” ketchup, rice cakes, 1 cup reserved cooking liquid, and as much gochujang and kimchi chile as you like and cook until the pork is cooked through, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Calories: 860, Protein: 30g (60% DV), Fiber: 12g (48% DV), Total Fat: 20g (31% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 11g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 3g (15% DV), Cholesterol: 40mg (13% DV), Sodium: 590mg (25% DV), Carbohydrates: 142g (47% DV), Total Sugars: 9g, Added Sugars: Sugars (Molasses): 0g (0% DV). Contains: Tree Nuts, Wheat, Soy
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt added to the recipe averages 240mg per serving, or 10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.