In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Middle Eastern lamb-beef patties with pear chutney and cauliflower “rice”
Soy-Free, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Paleo
2 Servings, 670 Calories/Serving
These simple paleo patties combine lamb, beef, and an easy house-made spice blend for deep Mediterranean flavor.
In your bag
- 2 pears (such as d’Anjou)
- Pear chutney base (maple syrup - apple cider vinegar - whole grain mustard)
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 5 ounces ground lamb
- 5 ounces ground beef
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Lamb-beef spice blend (baharat - coriander - cumin)
- 10 ounces cauliflower “rice”
- 2 or 3 sprigs fresh mint
- 1 lemon
The word “chutney” comes from the Hindi chatni, which itself comes from a verb meaning “to taste.” Chutneys come in every stripe, from thick to thin, chunky to smooth, sweet to sour, and spicy to mild. Their diversity and intense flavors help explain their universal appeal.
Make It Ahead
The chutney and patties (Steps 1 and 2) can be prepared up to 1 day ahead. Let the chutney cool, then cover and refrigerate overnight; rewarm before adding the mint and lemon juice. Cover and refrigerate the uncooked patties overnight, and proceed with Steps 3 through 6 the next day.
Calories: 670, Protein: 31g (62% DV), Fiber: 10g (40% DV), Total Fat: 35g (54% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 20g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.5g, Saturated Fat: 11g (55% DV), Cholesterol: 95mg (32% DV), Sodium: 220mg (9% DV), Carbohydrates: 58g (19% DV), Total Sugars: 37g, Added Sugars: (Maple syrup): 9g (18% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt added to the recipe averages 240mg per serving, or 10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Wash produce before use
Start the pear chutney
- Cut the pears lengthwise into quarters and cut away the cores; cut the quarters lengthwise into 1-inch strips, then crosswise into 1-inch-wide pieces.
While the chutney cooks, prepare the rest of the meal.
Make the patties
- Cut a small corner from the ground lamb packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Repeat with the ground beef.
- Grate or peel and finely chop enough ginger to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves. Set aside half for the cauliflower “rice.”
Cook the cauliflower “rice”
Cook the patties
While the patties cook, finish the chutney.
Finish the chutney
- Strip the mint leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Juice half the lemon; cut half into wedges for garnish.