In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Marrakech lamb merguez patties with warm carrot salad
Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Paleo, Dairy-Free, Carb-Conscious
2 Servings, 670 Calories/Serving
Aromatic spices infuse flavor into these fast and easy paleo lamb patties, served with a North African–inspired salad of greens, warm carrots, and tahini dressing.
In your bag
- 3 or 4 organic carrots (about 9 ounces total)
- 10 ounces ground lamb
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- Sun Basket merguez spice blend (fennel seeds - sweet paprika - granulated garlic - cumin - coriander)
- 3 tablespoons dry-roasted almonds
- Sun Basket lemon-tahini dressing base (lemon juice - tahini - garlic - orange juice - Marash chile flakes)
- 3 ounces organic baby arugula or other leafy greens
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
The spice blend for the lamb patties includes cumin, an aromatic spice with a distinctly bitter flavor that balances nicely with the rich lamb, sweet carrots, and tangy tahini. In addition to its culinary value, cumin is known to aid in digestion and boost the immune system, among other benefits.
Make It Ahead
The lamb patties (Step 2) can be prepared and shaped (but not cooked) up to 1 day ahead; chop only half the cilantro and save the rest for the salad. Cover the patties and refrigerate overnight. When ready to serve, proceed with Steps 1, 2 (cook the patties), and 3 (plus chop the remaining cilantro).
Prepare a medium-hot fire in a grill. Set the lamb patties on the grill directly over the heat and cook, turning once, until lightly charred and cooked to the desired doneness, about 5 minutes per side.
Calories: 670, Protein: 35g (70% DV), Fiber: 7g (28% DV), Total Fat: 48g (74% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 31g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 9g (45% DV), Cholesterol: 70mg (23% DV), Sodium: 330mg (14% DV), Carbohydrates: 28g (9% DV), Total Sugars: 14g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Contains: Tree Nuts (almond)
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep and cook the carrots
- Scrub or peel the carrots and trim the ends; cut the carrots in half lengthwise, then on the diagonal into 2-inch lengths.
Stir in ¼ cup [⅓ cup] white wine (from your pantry) or water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the carrots are tender and lightly browned, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
While the carrots cook, prepare the lamb merguez patties.
Prep and cook the lamb merguez patties
- Cut a small corner from the ground lamb packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro; set aside half for the carrot salad.
In another large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Working in batches if needed, add the patties and cook, turning once, until browned and cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes per side for medium. Transfer to a plate. Add more oil between batches if needed.
While the patties cook, start preparing the rest of the meal.
Prep the almonds; make the dressing and carrot salad
- Coarsely chop the almonds for garnish.
In a large bowl, toss together the carrots, arugula, golden raisins, remaining cilantro, and half the lemon-tahini dressing (set aside the remaining dressing for serving). Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Scrub the carrots.
- Divide the cilantro.
- Stir the lemon-tahini dressing.
- Assemble the carrot salad.
- Garnish with the almonds.
I would eat this every night . . . and my 13-year-old made it for us. — Karen W.