In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Lemongrass chicken salad with pickled carrots and sesame-miso dressing
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Diabetes-Friendly, Carb-Conscious, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 560 Calories/Serving
This banh mi–inspired bowl boasts all the bright, herbaceous flavors of the classic Vietnamese sandwich without the bread to weigh you down.
In your bag
- 10 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast strips
- 1 organic lime
- Your choice of protein
- Sunbasket lemongrass paste (lemongrass - extra virgin olive oil - garlic - ginger - turmeric)
- 1 organic cucumber
- 2 ounces organic shredded carrots
- Sunbasket quick-pickle brine (apple cider vinegar - maple syrup)
- 1 organic romaine heart or other lettuce
- 3 organic scallions
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- Sunbasket sesame-miso dressing base (lemon juice - miso - toasted sesame oil)
Calories 560, Total Fat 41g (53% DV), Sat. Fat 4.5g (23% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 75mg (25% DV), Sodium 350mg (15% DV), Total Carb. 23g (8% DV), Fiber 7g (25% DV), Total Sugars 9g (Incl. 3g Added Sugars, 6% DV), Protein 27g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep and marinate your protein
- Zest and juice the lime, keeping the zest and juice separate (the juice will be divided between the pickles and the salad dressing).
- Chicken, steak, or pork strips: Cut a small corner from the packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer the meat to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Season with salt and pepper.
- Shrimp or scallops: Rinse and drain the shrimp or scallops. Pat dry on a paper-towel-lined plate. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Tofu: Pat the tofu dry with paper towels; cut into ½-inch cubes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Plant-based chicken: Pat the plant-based chicken dry with a paper towel. Season with salt and pepper.
In a medium bowl, stir together the lemongrass paste and lime zest. Add your protein and marinate for at least 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, prepare the pickled cucumber and carrots.
Pickle the cucumber and carrots
- Cut the cucumber in half lengthwise, then crosswise into enough ¼-inch-thick half-moons to measure 1 cup [2 cups].
In a medium bowl, combine the cucumber, carrots, quick-pickle brine, and half the lime juice. Season with salt and toss to coat. Let stand, stirring occasionally, while you prepare the rest of the meal.
Cook your protein
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add your protein and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes for regular shrimp; 4 to 6 minutes for jumbo shrimp, scallops, steak, pork, tofu, or plant-based chicken; and 6 to 8 minutes for chicken. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. While your protein is cooking, start the salad.
Make the salad
- Trim the root end from the romaine; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
In a large bowl, stir together the sesame-miso dressing base, remaining lime juice, and 2 tablespoons [¼ cup] oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the romaine, scallions, and cilantro and toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the salad to individual bowls. Using a slotted spoon, remove the pickled cucumber and carrots from the brine. Top the salad with the cucumber, carrots, and your protein and serve.
- Juice the lime.
- Stir the lemongrass paste and lime zest.
- Pickle the cucumber and carrots.
- Stir the dressing.
- Assemble the salad.