Lemongrass steak stir-fry with bok choy and basil
Paleo, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free
30 – 40 Minutes
In Southeast Asia it’s common to stir-fry beef in a fragrant blend of fresh lemongrass, garlic, ginger, and turmeric, one that’s traditionally pounded by hand in a mortar and pestle. We spare you the work by shipping our custom lemongrass paste. We’ve also added our own stir-fry sauce for a salty-sweet-sour trifecta of flavors.
- 10 ounces top sirloin steak strips
- Peeled fresh garlic
- 10 ounces cauliflower “rice”
- 1 red onion
- 1 or 2 heads baby bok choy
- 2 ounces beech mushrooms
- 1 Fresno chile (optional)
- Fresh basil
- 2 scallions
- 1 lime
- Sun Basket lemongrass paste (lemongrass - fresh garlic - fresh ginger - turmeric - olive oil - salt)
- Sun Basket paleo stir-fry seasoning (fish sauce - coconut vinegar - coconut sugar)
Sear the steak
- Pat the steak strips dry with a paper towel; season with salt and pepper.
Cook the cauliflower “rice”
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1½ teaspoons. Divide into two equal portions; set aside half for the stir-fry.
While the cauliflower cooks, start the stir-fry.
Prep the remaining stir-fry ingredients
- Peel and thinly slice the red onion.
- Trim the root end from the bok choy; cut the bok choy in half lengthwise, then cut on the diagonal into 1-inch pieces.
- Trim the root ends from the mushrooms; separate any clusters into individual mushrooms.
- If using the Fresno chile, remove the stem and thinly slice the chile crosswise. Wash your hands after handling.
- Strip the basil leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves, if desired.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions on the diagonal.
- Cut the lime into wedges.
Cook the vegetables
Return the steak to the pan, add the stir-fry seasoning and as much chile as you like, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the steak is warmed through, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the basil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 610, Protein: 41g, Total Fat: 34g, Monounsaturated Fat: 19g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.5g, Saturated Fat: 9g, Cholesterol: 105mg, Carbohydrates: 40g, Fiber: 11g, Sugar: 16g, Added Sugars (Coconut sugar): 5g, Sodium: 1510mg