Lemongrass-tofu lettuce cups with cucumber salad and rice noodles
Gluten-Free, Vegan, Dairy-Free
20 – 30 Minutes
Chef Justine’s lemongrass paste packs a big punch of flavor in this light but satisfying Vietnamese-inspired dish, featuring our favorite tofu from Hodo Soy.
- 5 ounces flat rice noodles
- 1 cucumber
- 1 green apple
- 5 or 6 sprigs fresh Thai basil
- 1 lemon
- 1 head baby iceberg lettuce
- ¾ pound Hodo Soy firm tofu
- 1 or 2 cloves peeled fresh garlic
- ½ cup coconut milk
- Sun Basket lemongrass paste (lemongrass - olive oil - fresh garlic - fresh ginger - turmeric)
If the rice noodles begin to clump after cooking, rinse them under cold water once more to separate them. You can add all the coconut milk to the sauce in Step 3 if you like; use a slotted spoon to transfer the tofu to the lettuce cups, then serve the remaining sauce on the side for dipping.
Soak the rice noodles
While the water heats and the noodles soak, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Make the cucumber salad
- Peel the cucumber, if desired, and trim off the ends; cut the cucumber lengthwise into ½-inch-thick slices, then crosswise into ½-inch pieces.
- Cut the apple into quarters and cut away the core. Cut the fruit into ½-inch pieces.
- Strip the basil leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Juice the lemon.
Prep the lettuce; cook the tofu
- Trim the root end from the iceberg lettuce; separate the leaves.
- Crumble the tofu into corn-kernel-sized pieces.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Measure out ¼ cup coconut milk; save the rest for another use.
Add the tofu, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until warmed through, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and lemongrass paste and cook until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in ¼ cup coconut milk, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 44g (88% DV), Fiber: 18g (72% DV), Total Fat: 26g (40% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 15g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g, Saturated Fat: 6g (30% DV), Cholesterol: 0mg (0% DV), Sodium: 135mg (6% DV) (does not include pantry salt; for reference, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt added to the recipe averages 240mg per serving, or 10% DV), Carbohydrates: 105g (35% DV), Total Sugars: 21g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Contains: Tree nuts, soy.