In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Lemongrass tofu with shiitake mushrooms and coconut black rice
Vegan, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Family-Friendly
2 Servings, 730 Calories/Serving
Our dietitian’s favorite meal of the week, this colorful vegan Southeast Asian stir-fry is bursting with antioxidants and big flavor.
In your bag
- ½ cup black rice
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- ¼ ounce dried shiitake mushrooms
- 10 ounces Hodo Soy organic firm tofu
- 1 organic yellow onion or shallots
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- Sun Basket lemongrass paste (lemongrass - EVOO - fresh garlic - fresh ginger - ground turmeric)
- Organic sunflower or other sprouts (see Market Watch note)
- Sun Basket stir-fry blend (gluten-free tamari - sesame oil - fresh garlic - fresh ginger)
While rinsing white rice removes starches on the surface of the grains that cause clumping, it’s not necessary to rinse black rice, nor do we recommend it. The surface of black rice grains contains beneficial antioxidants that you don’t want to wash away.
The flavor of lemongrass is subtle, with a more floral fragrance and less acidity than either lemon juice or zest. Sold by the stalk, it’s fibrous to the point of being woody and is usually “bruised,” thinly sliced, or pounded to a paste before it is added to a dish.
Because sprouts can be in short supply due to cold spring weather, you may receive organic shredded carrots or broccoli slaw in your bag instead; if so, just follow the instructions as written for the sprouts.
Calories: 730, Protein: 37g (74% DV), Fiber: 12g (48% DV), Total Fat: 36g (55% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 20g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 9g, Saturated Fat: 7g (35% DV), Cholesterol: 0mg (0% DV), Sodium: 790mg (33% DV), Carbohydrates: 65g (22% DV), Total Sugars: 5g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Contains: Tree Nuts, Soybeans
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the rice
While the rice cooks, prepare the rest of the meal.
Soak the mushrooms
While the mushrooms soak, prepare the stir-fry ingredients.
Prep the stir-fry ingredients
- Cut the tofu into 1-inch cubes.
- Peel and thinly slice enough onion to measure 1 cup [2 cups].
- Remove the mushrooms, reserving the soaking liquid. Discard the stems and thinly slice the mushroom caps.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
Cook the tofu
Finish the stir-fry
- Measure the water for the rice.
- Measure the water for the mushrooms.
- Measure the onion.